Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this? I like my interior, i.e. seats etc. But would not mind to re-surface doors inserts and dash with nice Italian Leather. Anyone got any pointers (instructions or places that could do it in OC/ LA area)? Thank you. Dan

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I keep seeing these show cars and scratching my head

My wife and I have done this to many cars ...

we have no clue, on this one, how to make certain the passenger air bag will fire through the leather overlay

I suspect on the show cars pictured here and other custome mods that they simply ignored this safety concern

·
Registered
1,945 Posts

we have no clue, on this one, how to make certain the passenger air bag will fire through the leather overlay

I suspect on the show cars pictured here and other custome mods that they simply ignored this safety concern

You have to use a thin enough fabric like the stock cloth. Suede seems to be a popular choice.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
We get most of our leather supplies from Tandy and I assure you we have used the very thinnest suede they have and I can exert a LOT of pressure on that stuff for ultra taught applications. I have a hard time believing the air bag will simply fire through the materiel....

If I every get enough free time to "leather out" my interior I will probably probe until I find the edges of the air bag opening and carefully do a two piece over lay with rolled and stitched opening and air bag section

I would love to see the raw dash with OUT the factory covering on it so I can see how the air bag fires... most have a plastic cover that is tethered in one corner by a short steel cable. The cover flies up and away from passenger face (usually smacking the windshield)...don't ask

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I was wondering about the airbag also. I could easily do the dash and seats in leather if it weren't for the air bag. I was thinking of using a stitched "flap" over it. I was looking through the galleries and found the white/red Brabus and will change out my carpets for red and would like to leather up the rest of the interior.Now if we could get a Brabus like that one...........................( minus the leather floor)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I know the other cars that have been re-covered. They use thinner leather in the airbag area to make sure it rips open in the event of the crush. I was mostly asking for a shop or DYI who can do a Brabus leather look with a horizontal double stitch. Dan

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Thanks guys. I know the other cars that have been re-covered. They use thinner leather in the airbag area to make sure it rips open in the event of the crush. I was mostly asking for a shop or DYI who can do a Brabus leather look with a horizontal double stitch. Dan
I'm sure any good interior shop or car place could get in done for you. Depending on where you live, 4smartcar is located in Hollywood area. Check around your area for shops and visit them. Good luck!

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Vendor
3,622 Posts
Has anyone done this? I like my interior, i.e. seats etc. But would not mind to re-surface doors inserts and dash with nice Italian Leather. Anyone got any pointers (instructions or places that could do it in OC/ LA area)? Thank you. Dan
Hello Dan,

We have just partnered up with the company that has been doing many of the Smart interior conversions. They have done exactly what you are looking for. We are based in So Cal (Signal Hill) and once we get back from SEMA and get done with the LA Auto Show we will start offering custom interiors to our customers.

The turn around is quick and the work is Top Notch! The shop is airbag certified and their materials are designed to work with air bags. We would love to take care of your needs!

Please drop us a line at [email protected] if you are interested in talking further.

Thank you...

·
Vendor
3,622 Posts

You are correct in your concerns. Some shops simply upholster over the airbags and some that are certified use a different material around the air bag to make sure that the airbags deploy if the need ever comes to that.

Our partners are certified on Airbags and have addressed and resolved this issue. Whether you use our service or not please make sure you find out if they are certified and have them show you proof first. Remember, with a like the smart the airbags are a VERY important part of your safety.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I would love to see the raw dash with OUT the factory covering on it so I can see how the air bag fires... most have a plastic cover that is tethered in one corner by a short steel cable. The cover flies up and away from passenger face (usually smacking the windshield)...don't ask
If your dealer has one of the cutaway Tridion cells in their showroom, you'll be able to see what you need. You can barely see the outline of mine sometimes if the light hits it right, and it looks exactly like what those cutaways look like.

The smart's flap is 2 pieces, split in the middle, and it looks to use a refractory design from the windshield at deployment. The flaps themselves are not long enough to touch it - but I'd say the bag has enough velocity to break it considering the distance.

Give me a seam any day...

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
The European Brabus Xclusive has a leather (pleather?) covered dash in matching black to the leather interior we get - complete with contrast stitching. You can see it in a lot of shots at FQ101 (like this one - FQ101 : Smart Car Modifications).

I'd love to get hold of the part number and a helpful distributor... it probably would require an absurd amount of money, but it looks nice.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
I have fitted the leather dash from a Brabus 451 to mine (info will be put on the updated version of the website when it is released).
I can assure you that no extra effort has been made around the passenger airbag to weaken the leather. In fact, the airbag has to split a partially scored piece of hardboard before splitting the leather. Using any automotive leather thin enough to be shaped onto the dash will allow the explosive airbag to pass.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts