Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
People are often afraid of change and threatened by new things that challenge their thinking or the dominant paradigm.
Hmmmm . . . "Paradigm" . . . too long for a license plate, altho a really cool choice. Would people get "2 digms"?

Must put on thinking cap!

tm

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
I wonder why the Smart elicits such strong reactions- both pro and con?
I'm still a bit ambivalent. Lot's of great things about the car (eg concept, styling, size, price). Some fundamentally bad things about the car (eg handling, fuel economy, transmission). I'm hoping that the shortcomings are addressed to some degree when the actual U.S. spec cars are delivered.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Only one negative MB owner I found

He's keeps saying his W123 is faster. He has an '80 model 240D MB. He is a wannabe MB owner who happens to have one of the older much less elegant MB diesels that he probably got on Ebay for $3000.....the ones that fumigate everyone and everything going up hills.

And I doubt very much that the Smart is as slow as his 240D....:rolleyes:

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
He's keeps saying his W123 is faster. He has an '80 model 240D MB. He is a wannabe MB owner who happens to have one of the older much less elegant MB diesels that he probably got on Ebay for $3000.....the ones that fumigate everyone and everything going up hills.

And I doubt very much that the Smart is as slow as his 240D....:rolleyes:
Well, his 3 liter turbo diesel (3.0T) is probably alot faster, but as you imply, he probably doesn't have alot of mosquitoes within several adjacent counties. He appears to be the only one seriously dissing the Smart on that thread.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Yah....well put, Ihoboy!.....

:)
Well, his 3 liter turbo diesel (3.0T) is probably alot faster, but as you imply, he probably doesn't have alot of mosquitoes within several adjacent counties. He appears to be the only one seriously dissing the Smart on that thread.
I couldn't have said it better, Ihoboy!

·
Registered
275 Posts
If it is a 240D, then it most likely doesn't have a turbo. Also it would be the 2.4 liter diesel per the designation. The 3.0T was available in the 300D and standard in the 300SD and was an inline 5.

I would seriously doubt that a 4000lbs Mercedes Diesel from the 80's would be as fast as the smart CDI.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Also, checking a bit more, his 0-60 times are 15.1 sec and a fuel economy of 20mpg (and that's with diesel fuel that has a higher energy content than gasoline.

I'm guessing he's feeling insecure.:D

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
If it is a 240D, then it most likely doesn't have a turbo. Also it would be the 2.4 liter diesel per the designation. The 3.0T was available in the 300D and standard in the 300SD and was an inline 5.

I would seriously doubt that a 4000lbs Mercedes Diesel from the 80's would be as fast as the smart CDI.
The guy modded his 240D and installed a 3 liter turbo. His 0-60s are still in the 15 sec range and max speed about 93mph:240D-3.0T Thread

·
Registered
570 Posts
I am finding it funny that the person who has the 20+ year old car that for sure has abysmal quality and (for sure) looks is making fun of a car that is a 1000 times cleaner and better put together than his soviet era car could ever be. Not saying they were great cars for their time, but we need to step into the 21st century... yes? His car.... not very clean.... not very eco friendly. Ohh... could someone also update him on the fact that the cars are now 1 liter... dont be mis-informed if you have issues with something.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I'm sure MB owners don't appreciate adding an economy car to their line. Back in the day I believe the inexpensive Porsche model was a 914. Mercedes club members would not allow 914 owners to join.

·
Super Moderator
28,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, the 914 was a problem for the P car crowd, mainly because it was sold as a Volkswagen everywhere in the world except the USA, where it was badged as a Porsche. Volkswagen versions (914-4) originally came with an 80 hp (60 kW) fuel-injected 1.7 L flat-4 engine based on the Volkswagen air cooled engine.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Yes, the 914 was a problem for the P car crowd, mainly because it was sold as a Volkswagen everywhere in the world except the USA, where it was badged as a Porsche. Volkswagen versions (914-4) originally came with an 80 hp (60 kW) fuel-injected 1.7 L flat-4 engine based on the Volkswagen air cooled engine.
Yes, but the 914-6 was a real Porsche. I guess, by that logic, the Smart is really really a Mitsubishi.

Never mind!

·
Registered
931 Posts
I was watching a segment of the PBS miniseries "War" via my DVR last night and had to chuckle when they mentioned things like Mitsubishies killing our men as well as Panzers and 88s. Begs the question, who really won WWII?

Nice that we can all get along, at least while chasing for the moolah.

;)

·
Registered
570 Posts
I was watching a segment of the PBS miniseries "War" via my DVR last night and had to chuckle when they mentioned things like Mitsubishies killing our men as well as Panzers and 88s. Begs the question, who really won WWII?

Nice that we can all get along, at least while chasing for the moolah.

;)
And Porsche made those Panzers too :D

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I do believe the Smart wore the Mercedes Emblem for a while didn't it? So, why did they switch? :confused:

Anyway, a Mustang is a Ford, a Camaro is a Chevy, so a Smart should be a Mercedes, yes? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts