Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is my Smart Fortwo Brabus real or possibly fake?

I am a Smart Fortwo car owner. There's this concern about the car I have. The title of the vehicle says its a Smart Fortwo Brabus 2010, but as I compare the car model to that of other Brabus cars, they don't look the same. The back side of the smart fortwo has a Brabus logo stuck to it, but that seems to only be the place where the Brabus logo is located at. Also the exhaust is not in the center of the car, It is at the side and the wheels are regular stock. For any Smart Car enthusiastic fans out there, What do you all think?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am a Smart Fortwo car owner. There's this concern about the car I have. The title of the vehicle says its a Smart Fortwo Brabus 2010, but as I compare the car model to that of other Brabus cars, they don't look the same. The back side of the smart fortwo has a Brabus logo stuck to it, but that seems to only be the place where the Brabus logo is located at. Also the exhaust is not in the center of the car, It is at the side and the wheels are regular stock. For any Smart Car enthusiastic fans out there, What do you all think?:shrug:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
As far as i'm aware, the only year where an actual Brabus MODEL was an option was for the 2009 (as a "celebration" of Smart having been available in the US for a year). After that, Brabus stuff was only available as optional components or as an appearance package. Not that the '09 Brabus was much more than an appearance package anyway (only arguable performance bit was the slightly lowered suspension (don't think there was a "Sport" suspension option on the earlier US 451's)).

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
As far as i'm aware, the only year where an actual Brabus MODEL was an option was for the 2009 (as a "celebration" of Smart having been available in the US for a year). After that, Brabus stuff was only available as optional components or as an appearance package. Not that the '09 Brabus was much more than an appearance package anyway (only arguable performance bit was the slightly lowered suspension (don't think there was a "Sport" suspension option on the earlier US 451's)).
The BRABUS coupes (BRABUS sports package) have been around since '08 in the USA. They disappeared I believe in '10-'12, only to return under the facelifted 451 bodystyle. The cabriolets were only around in extremely limited quantities in '08 and '09.

It is possible the original poster had an authentic one, that was later modified by having its rear kit removed and exhaust outlet modified. But more likely it's a poser.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,564 Posts
Are you sure about the 2008 Brabus 451 in the US? It was and has always been my understanding the Brabus first appeared in the US as a 451 in coupe or cabriolet only in all black or all silver as a 2009 model.

That car was a separate model, not a trim package. In addition to not having an actual engine upgrade, just cosmetics and suspension and tire/wheel package, there was no way of identifying the car from the vin number.

Please let us know if you have actual info that refers to a 2008 Brabus. Some cars may have been assembled in late 2008, but my understanding is they were model year 2009.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,564 Posts
Your car is not a Brabus. In fact, a 2010 Passion should have body color lower valances, not matte black. I am starting to wonder if your car is a Pure with passion wheels. Does the car have paddle shifters and a three spoke steering wheel? What do the badges in the door triangle read? Is it Pure, Passion, or Brabus?

Even so, welcome to SCoA and enjoy your new car!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your car is not a Brabus. In fact, a 2010 Passion should have body color lower valances, not matte black. I am starting to wonder if your car is a Pure with passion wheels. Does the car have paddle shifters and a three spoke steering wheel? What do the badges in the door triangle read? Is it Pure, Passion, or Brabus?

The badge on the doors say Passion and also the car does have the shifting paddles. Most likely it's a Passion; from what I know of the little research I've done. The curiosity got to me so I had to have the opinion of others.

·
Super Moderator
28,978 Posts
Your car is not a Brabus. In fact, a 2010 Passion should have body color lower valances, not matte black.

For 2011, the body color is extended onto the front spoiler, side skirts and rear apron that previously had a black grain. This is standard on the passion coupe and passion cabriolet models for 2011 and this feature can be added as an option with the Bodypanel Plus Package on the pure coupe. Additionally, the fuel filler door is painted in the body color, a new standard feature for 2011 on all models.*
:)

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f167/2011-smart-fortwo-smart-fortwo-evolves-united-states-35245/

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
That car was a separate model, not a trim package. In addition to not having an actual engine upgrade, just cosmetics and suspension and tire/wheel package, there was no way of identifying the car from the vin number.
I'm still always wondering exactly what people are looking at to come up with the idea that the car couldn't be identified by the VIN number. Back when i was trying to refinance my '09 Brabus through my bank rather than whatever it was originally financed through to help lower the interest rate, my bank gave me a printout of the value of my car. Has the VIN number printed out, and in the vehicle description it says the following:

"2009 Smart
ForTwo-3 Cyl.
Coupe 2D BRABUS"

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I'm still always wondering exactly what people are looking at to come up with the idea that the car couldn't be identified by the VIN number. Back when i was trying to refinance my '09 Brabus through my bank rather than whatever it was originally financed through to help lower the interest rate, my bank gave me a printout of the value of my car. Has the VIN number printed out, and in the vehicle description it says the following:

"2009 Smart
ForTwo-3 Cyl.
Coupe 2D BRABUS"
Somebody probably lied and that lie fooled everybody all the way down the line from a car dealer accepting the trade-in, to the salesperson, to the bank, etc,. Sad, really.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been looking through several websites and have come across one stating the smart fortwo that I have is a pure. The VIN records say it's a Pure, the door triangle says Passion, and the back trunk door says BRABUS. **** it, it's a Smart Car in the end.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
When I financed my first smart, a 2008, it came up as a passion, although it was a pure..either way, it is mostly the trim level and options that make it one or the other. Brabus has some extras in the suspension and exhaust besides the badges. Now if it had the turbo like the European ones, that would be different...

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
The panels would have been the same color as the tridion cell, too. IT would have been an all black or all silver car, no matte side skirts, special front shiny air dam, and center outlet rear exhaust as mentioned. I believe front fog lights were standard on the Brabus, also as were heated leather seats. Matching Brabus insert floor mats were included.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
The panels would have been the same color as the tridion cell, too. IT would have been an all black or all silver car, no matte side skirts, special front shiny air dam, and center outlet rear exhaust as mentioned. I believe front fog lights were standard on the Brabus, also as were heated leather seats. Matching Brabus insert floor mats were included.
Well... not sure if you could go by the whole same color body panels thing, since as far as i'm aware, it was only the '09 Brabus MODEL where the car was only available in Black/Black or Silver/Silver. In the later models when they just had a Brabus style package, pretty sure any color could be used.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
One Brabus stick on emblem on the tailgate does not a Brabus make! The most outstanding features are the front airdam, rear center outlet exhaust and trim panel, matching side skirts, and above all else, the beautiful Monoblock wheels, all of which are missing on this car. Next would be the stick on "B" applique on the gas filler door. Then the Brabus stick ons on the mirror triangle in front of each door. This poor car has NONE of these items. Hey, at least it is a lovely smart, capable of great fun.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts