Smart Car of America Forum banner

Real world range for New and old ED's

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  radar231 
#1 ·
Hi folks. We are firmly into year three with our smart and really haven't noticed much of a range change in our little wonder. Below is a snap of the dash in typical urban use in Palm Springs for this time of the year. Top is always down so no AC. We drive fairly unaggressively here and most of the urban driving around here doesn't get over 60 mph with the occasional between exit scoots on the interstate for a few miles. Urban driving in general. Two questions.

How does this stack up for other similar year/similar condition smarts. EG range on a charge etc. We usually charge when we hit 40 percent and usually to 90 percent and sometimes overnight to max. 140 KM is really pretty much a normal calculated range for us under these conditions. Closer to 100 KM with AC and more interstate.

How do the new ones stack up. I'm still having a hard time believing the range is less on the new ones. Is it the same battery.

Thanks all.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm in Year 3 on my coupe too. Numbers are similar to yours. Last charge showed me a range of 90 miles, but that's a little higher than usual. Usually we are right around 80 miles. I've got the home made battery test unit, so I'll be keeping an eye on things, but so far so good. Cabriolet numbers are pretty similar - we've only had it five months.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 12,800 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 2,300 miles

#4 ·
I typically charge it to max when I hit the 30 or 40% mark. I always just use the factory cable and a regular 110v outlet in my garage and will usually let it charge overnight to 100%. I don't take it off the charger until it has reached 100% and stopped charging. Probably charge a couple of times a week for each.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 12,800 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 2,300 miles

#6 ·
There are a couple of guys on a facebook page dedicated to smart cars, who have more than 60k miles on their EDs. I believe they're both in Europe so probably have access to faster charging than here in the United States, and they both report pretty minimal battery degradation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.