Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My attention was drawn to Auto Trader recently when I noted some diesel Smart's ranging from 3-5k, some a little higher, looking for a good standby vehicle to use when my ED just wont cut it (usually last minute trips, end up having to take my wife's truck).

I have heard both good and bad about the diesel fortwo. I cannot seem to put my finger on the best model year and what major problems may lie ahead, but I am really liking the fuel economy. This would be mostly back road driving, speed limits under 80km/h, perhaps 80-100km each trip, maybe a few times a month. It would be comforting to know that I have a backup vehicle and of course extend the life of my ED which just rolled 41k (By the way, doing quite good, no issues so far).

Any suggestions from experience, especially in Canada, where I understand certain diesel models (or model years) were not permitted because they did not get TC approval? I know for a fact that the quality of diesel here is not as great as in Europe, but overall, would I be looking down the barrel of a loaded gun?

Thanks, Happy New Year!
Jay

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
If you do not work on your own cars, I would not recommend a smart as a backup vehicle. For a backup vehicle I would recommend the gas smart over the diesel. The newest diesels are now nearly 10 years old. Go to clubsmartcar and check out the maintenance section to get an idea of the regular and constant work these cars typically need.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
As a backup vehicle I would recommend something more practical than a smart. Aside from that bit of (probably unwanted) advice, a diesel smart can be good if you are a DIY person and take lots of precautions when buying to ensure you get a good one. They definitely have a lot more character than any other smarts that followed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts