Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
682 Posts
NO "new" posts since 2:00 am ???????

What's going on ?????????? :confused:
I think the answer to your question might be the fact that the Smart 451 has been marketed in the US for 7 years without any real change...it's an old horse..and most relevant topics regarding 451 ownership have been already been fully debated!

In today's fast moving automobile design world...7 years of status quo is marketing stupidity!

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
I think the answer to your question might be the fact that the Smart 451 has been marketed in the US for 7 years without any real change...it's an old horse..and most relevant topics regarding 451 ownership have been already been fully debated!

In today's fast moving automobile design world...7 years of status quo is marketing stupidity!

...really???...look at the 451...there's nothing like us out there...it could be 10 more years and still.....nothing like us...

Jetfuel...making the 451 look even better......:D

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
What's going on ?????????? :confused:
Nothing?

Expecting this to be the "norm" until the 453 stirs up some interest?

The high water mark for SCoA was 5/20/2008 when there were 1,392 tire kickers on line!

Today SCoA has 45,016 members which of course includes ALL who ever graced these pages.

On line as of this moment in time, Currently Active Users: 619 (22 members and 597 guests).

·
17,346 Posts
Nothing?

Expecting this to be the "norm" until the 453 stirs up some interest?

The high water mark for SCoA was 5/20/2008 when there were 1,392 tire kickers on line!

Today SCoA has 45,016 members which of course includes ALL who ever graced these pages.

On line as of this moment in time, Currently Active Users: 619 (22 members and 597 guests).
Sounds about right to me. :)

IIRC - That 45,016 is only members who have surpassed 3 posts and haven't been deleted by the Mods (usually only spammers get "deleted").

People who make accounts but don't post (probably just to get rid of the stupid ads) and Unregistered Guests (which make up probably 75% of daily site traffic) aren't counted.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Interesting factoid

Over at the mothership, sUSAi has All Members (14,177) compared to our favorite sand box SCoA at 45,016!
:spots:

·
17,346 Posts
sUSAi is the definition of dead. They should buy this site from the AutoGuide lords and make it the official owner's site...

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I think you are seeing a general lack of enthusiasm for the brand now. Look at our state wide club. I couldn't get anybody to take over, so it died a sudden death at the end of the year. It makes me sad because there was so much enthusiasm for a long time. That seems to have died. I love my smart, but I have other interests that have taken priority recently. All good things must come to an end it seems...

·
17,346 Posts
The Chicago club died off at the end of 2012. People simply lost interest... :(

·
Banned
682 Posts
I think you are seeing a general lack of enthusiasm for the brand now. Look at our state wide club. I couldn't get anybody to take over, so it died a sudden death at the end of the year. It makes me sad because there was so much enthusiasm for a long time. That seems to have died. I love my smart, but I have other interests that have taken priority recently. All good things must come to an end it seems...
I agree with your comments...I've owned 3 different Smart 451's...so obviously I'm a loyal Smart owner...but sales of new Smart's are slowing again...and the market is overrun with preowned Smart's still waiting for buyers..."a general lack of enthusiasm" is an under statement!

I enjoy reading the postings on this forum...but most of the topics have been discussed over & over again...not much new info!

The sun is setting on the 451!

·
17,346 Posts
I think the slumping sales are due to the part that MBUSA is no longer advertising. During the entire length of MBUSA's multiple ad campaigns for smart, sales were rising across the board consistently each month.

Now, other than that useless Super Bowl spot (so much for the ad "going viral" like they hoped it would) they aren't advertising at all.

Can't sell cars if people don't know who you are. Just ask Suzuki North America how that worked out...

The Kizashi was an awesome car that got nearly universal positive reviews from every journalist that drove it. But they sold pretty much none of them. Why? Because like MBUSA, they barely even advertised the thing.

That said, the 451 is an aging model that's dying out, but that isn't the only reason for poor sales. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts