Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All:
Has anyone had to stiffen the lower rear skirt? Mine seems to vibrate when the engine is coming up to speed,or when doing about 40-45 in 5th gear. I have been trying to isolate the buzzing noise, and it sure sounds like the lower skirt when you go back and give it a flick with my finger. Anyone else had a similar noise?

NedC

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Again, I thank you jwight. I will check this out and see if the previous owner removed or whatever. Many thanks for the picture thread. Like i said, if you reach down an flick the skirt, the sound it makes sounds like the noise I hear. I did have a new stock muffler installed and maybe when that was done, the installer removed something he shouldn't have.
Ned C

·
Super Moderator
29,203 Posts
Could be just a matter of neglecting to put the tabs on the skirt into the slots on those supports, if they weren't familiar with the car. :)

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm pretty sure problem solved..Thanks to jwight, the muffler folks forgot to snap the two corners back in place. Took Bob for a quick spin and I didn't hear any extra buzzing going on. Again this forum is the best !!!!
Ned C

·
Registered
240 Posts
Had the same problem with my 08. I added a wood stiffner rod inside the lower lip of the skirt and it seemed to help some, but I still sometimes hear a buzz . Definitely sounds like a panel of some sort at resonance with a certain engine vibration. I'm still looking 10 years later.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Shop Hermit.
I was thinking of doing just that with a piece of wood. How did you fasten things?? AND I did do some tapered wood shims on both sides of the exposed louvers to hopefully stop some of the noises. Used a sharp knife and shaped them to fit without seeing anything. I used the same shims that you use to shim cabinets etc when installing a new kitchen. Available at Menards.

Again Thanks for your input.
Ned

1 - 10 of 10 Posts