Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone has seen any rear end crash videos. It seems all of the crash testing is front impact, but honestly I wonder how these cars do on a rear impact.

In fact since they are so small, I think you will see the incidence of rear end accidents being higher then most car's.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm wondering if anyone has seen any rear end crash videos. It seems all of the crash testing is front impact, but honestly I wonder how these cars do on a rear impact.
I know that one of the street smart tour cars was rear-ended during a test drive. This was on the Western States tour, and happened between the Albuquerque and Denver stops (so either in San Antonio or Houston).

The smart was stopped at traffic lights and was hit by a "small" Lexus, whose driver totally failed to notice stopped traffic in front of him. The Lexus had to be trailered away; the smart drove back to the street smart event.

Apparently it was quite a decent impact, and the guy taking the test drive was very favorably impressed with the smart's strength. The rear bumper panel showed some scuff marks, and the energy absorbing structure behind the bumper was subsequently replaced.

Oh, and the color of the injured smart? Bright Yellow. :)

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Us vs Them

The smart was stopped at traffic lights and was hit by a "small" Lexus, whose driver totally failed to notice stopped traffic in front of him. The Lexus had to be trailered away; the smart drove back to the street smart event.
Seems like fair game to utilize the other guy

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you look at my avatar, that was my previous car. It was rearended by a lady who said she didn't even know what she hit. In other words, I was going 10mph and turning, she came over the hill going 60 and drove right through me without seeing me.

I guess my reaction was to find something fun and different, that was a little safer then a handbuilt car. I think the Smart car fits that bill pretty well.

I just thought it is funny that car's in general don't seem to have any rear crash testing, or that the video isn't out there to watch?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts