Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new Smart owner here. I bought a 2016 453 with a manual gearbox in September. This week someone decided to ram into the rear repeatedly to move my car about 8 feet so they could park easier. I got their plate info thankfully, but I’m worried about transmission damage. The car was parked with reverse engaged and the hand brake pulled. It’s driving a bit jerky now. I have an appointment for a dealership inspection on Monday. Anyone run into issues with the tranny after a collision like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
423 Posts
That’s just awful. I hope the judge realizes this is a bully and sends him to jail for a while to think about being a pinhead.

If you car was in neutral with the the parking brake engaged, it would be unlikely if there was any transmission damage. More likely he took a little rubber off your tires.

Same deal it was in gear, with the parking brake on.

If the brake was not on, there might have been some damage. Call your insurance company and tell them you need to have the car evaluated at the expense of the bully’s insurance. If not, tell his insurance company they will be held liable for any latent transmission damage for the lift of the vehicle as internal damage may not be apparent and manifest itself months down the line.

What a jerk. I hate highway bullys.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
Inform your auto insurance company. Hope what ever damage thats happen. Doesn’t total your vehicle. A Remanufactured, manual trans axle transmission, is quite expensive. Plus the labor, to install it. Is there any body damage to you car.

Good luck there!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. My insurance company has been filled in while the police search for the driver of the other vehicle. Only visible damage is the rear bumper. The hand brake was definitely engaged but it was moved with some serious force. Hopefully needs nothing but a new bumper cover!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts