Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I drove my Smart for 4 years before I was first rear ended in 2014, it happened again in 2014. Today once again for the third time in less than a year I was rear ended coming home. No one was hurt, but $%^$%^ do I have a bulls-eye on the back of my car?

Looks like another trip to Smart Madness again ....

Bob Diaz

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
Sounds like you need some king size rear bumper spikes and a target decal to put on the rear end saying "Hit the target and ruin your bumper!" >:D

I purposely stop a little short to leave room for when fools want to crawl up my tailpipe I can creep up a little.

Get the 3rd brake light pulsar...it helps keep people back a little. :|

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like you need some king size rear bumper spikes and a target decal to put on the rear end saying "Hit the target and ruin your bumper!" >:D

I purposely stop a little short to leave room for when fools want to crawl up my tailpipe I can creep up a little.

Get the 3rd brake light pulsar...it helps keep people back a little. :|
Last time I got the car repaired, I almost got the spikes, now I wish I had. I think I'm going for them now. >:D

Bob Diaz

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well I drove my Smart for 4 years before I was first rear ended in 2014, it happened again in 2014. Today once again for the third time in less than a year I was rear ended coming home. No one was hurt, but $%^$%^ do I have a bulls-eye on the back of my car?
Did the small size of the smart car factor into the accidents?

Glad everyone is safe.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Three times in one year? That's intense.

Are you driving or braking in a strange behavior, or just an unfortunate victim of other drivers?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Bob,

I feel very fortunate that I have not been rear-ended. Where I live drivers are not expected to actually stop for stopsigns. My doing so surprises those driving behind me, and I frequently hear the screeching of brakes as they stand on the pedal to avoid hitting little Munchkin.

Jim

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
I find that when I am driving my smart people scrunch up close behind me at stop signs. I also know that they look like they are in the backseat my smart does not have....but it just looks that way and they aren't parked in my tailpipe...but! Possibly their feeling of being so much bigger than my smart gives them the feeling that they can bully up behind me. I too stop...really stop...at all stop signs like the prior poster because my car sticks out like a sore thumb to the local revenue officers. And possibly because my smart is yellow with big racing stripes the tailgaters want "to show me" that they can abuse "the tiny race car" at will. Don't really know why but I am certainly not being paranoid about the issue...it is a fact.
I use my pulsing 3rd brake light and it helps. I will also use the spikes in the future.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've uploaded the video from my Mobius Dash Cam to show how the accident played out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgaGWH-1Jcs

The audio cuts out just after the impact because you do NOT want to hear what I said after the impact. The driver who hit me was using her cell phone GPS to find a location and I believe she was looking at her phone at the point of impact. I really need to install a read dash camera for things like this.

Bob Diaz

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went to Smart Madness yesterday to have them look at it and provide an estimate. It's looking at around $1,400 worth of damage and may go even higher. Glad I'm not paying for it.

Bob Diaz

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm somewhat pissed at the person who did the estimate for GEICO. Smart Madness estimated the cost of the repair at $1,400 and the shop GEICO sent me to was $930. Naturally GEICO only wants to pay $930.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
You have the right to take your car to a shop of your choice and for the repairs to be made using only factory new parts. I would go to another shop and see if they will write a higher estimate then Smartmadness, and tell Geico you only want a shop that is experienced with smart cars. In fact, a smart Center would be a good place to get a 3rd estimate. You can always play the small claims court card with Geico, if they refuse to pay the estimate amount that Smartmadness quoted you. Also, always allow room for a supplemental claim as there could be additional damage, once the car is disassembled.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts