Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this week I had my first accident ever. On my way to work I was alone with Sancho in stop and go traffic on the highway when a Nissan Murano hit me from behind with what I felt as a hard hit. My glasses went flying, that metal to metal sound was very loud, adrenaline kicked in and I thought Sancho's backside was gone. I got out and I see this Murano with the hood bent up and a large crack running vertically through its front bumper. I look at Sancho and he has a deep dent on its back bumper and scratches. The girl driving the Murano was apologetic she said she had gotten distracted by the cop car lights further down that were very intelligently slowing down what was already slow as hell traffic. :rolleyes: I was still in shaky full adrenaline mode when she said "I can't believe my car looks more damaged than yours", that disarmed me and couldn't help but to smile. I never expected to test him but im glad Sancho did what he was designed to do.

I haven't taken sancho to the shop yet and make sure he doesnt have internal damage but ive been driving it since and so far so good. The one thing I found was the spring/plastic part of the cargo cover is cracked. But In the end: Sancho: 1 Nissan Murano: 0

I'll try to post pics later tonight.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW I have a question. My insurer is USAA and they obviously want me to select one of their "in network" shops. They say they will back the work done on sancho for as long as I own it. Ive never been through this process before and my main concern is that I want people with experience on smart cars to do the job. So I contacted one of the smart centers in the area and that dealer has a collision repair division that according to the site gives the impression of working on smarts.

In any case, what does the community suggest? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Just my .02 (I'm with USAA also) - demand the work be done by a smart center or by a shop recommended by a smart center. A hit in the back of the car may have affected the engine, exhaust, suspension, etc. - need somebody that really knows the smart to check it for hidden damage. :)

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I went through the same thing with my insurance company (Farmers) when I hit a 40-lb. raccoon at 65 mph one night, and it tore up the whole front end of my car, as well as rolled up underneath and busted some stuff, including a motor mount. :( I insisted that my car be picked up on a flatbed, and taken to the smartcenter Seattle. My insurance company wanted to move it to another shop, because they were going to be cheaper, and I insisted on smartcenter because they knew smarts. This was when they were new and nobody else had even worked on them. So.....just insist on using a smart service center.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
With a smart, one should only consider using a smart center for the best repair.
First of all-- you got hit, therefore your insurance company will battle it out with hers.
You can probably even get a rental and have her company compensate you for X amount of days, if you can't drive the car while it's repaired.
Make sure you sign nothing! You may have a back injury which may develop in a few days; one just never knows such things.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Good report, Dreamy.

I too am with USAA. While they prefer you to take your car to one of their preferred repair shops, you have an absolute right to take it to another of your choice. Repair shops have deals with insurors, giving the latter a break in order to get the business of their insureds. Nothing wrong with that, but they cannot make you go to such a shop. Your right here is absolute. (Like all things, within reasonable limits, like you can expect a problem if you have the work done by old Joe around the corner, at a cost double a reasonable cost.)

Plus, of course, it would appear that the accident was clearly the other party's fault, as mentioned above by KennyRay, and the cost will be met by her insurance company. This of course assumes that she has an insurance company, not at all certain in many places, and that if she has insurance it has high enough limits. In addition, one of the reasons your smart insurance is so cheap with USAA, other than that it is USAA, is because if it is totaled it comes out of petty cash. A smart, due to its generally lower cost, is much more likely to be totaled, for insurance purposes, than is a square car.

Take it from an old lawyer who has seen many a fender-bender, many quick assumptions about things like fault change through time.

Furthermore, USAA will undoubtedly make the payment for the work done on your smartie, and then they will claim against the other party's insurance. You do not have to be smartless while negotiating with the other party's insurance company. USAA does that for you.

You are wise to be with USAA, Dreamy.

Jim

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The one downside is that Sancho is an '08 and ive been considering in selling it next year so i could upgrade to a 2011 or newer model. Now I know I will take a hit on the value of it since this will undoubtedly show up on autocheck and carfax :(

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
All I can say is what I've always thought of my Smart - what a tough little cookie.

Hope you're doing alright! I know what post-accident feels like.

·
Registered
536 Posts
That's actually a Nissan Rogue :) glad to hear you are ok and that Sancho did his Job, I had a similar incident last year around this time with my 08 cabrio and the Buick that hit me also had wayyyyyy more damage than my car. I would personally suggest that you take it to one of the smart centers collision centers because I chose the one my insurance recommended and I wasn't fully satisfied... They painted the rear hatch vs replacing it and in a few months the paint looked pretty bad, I would assume because of the heat from the engine.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Looks like Sancho fared quite well. The crash box underneath the skin hopefully took the brunt of the impact like it was supposed and maybe there will be little other damage. One can hope that he will be good as new.
Keep us posted.
Rich

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for your inputs. Just came back from the shop. Its a division of a SC/MBenz dealership I figured thats as good as I will find on my own. The guy suggested to listen to Geico (the girl's insurance) since they had called me, and left a voicemail I just never returned the call. He said if they accept 100% liability on this it would be best for me to make the claim with them rather than USAA. USAA would refund me the deductible but only after weeks of verification on their end and battling out with Geico. By making the claim with Geico, I wouldnt have to pay any deductibles upfront since my policy is not with them. And if for any reason Geico would only accept partial liability like 80 or 90 percent, then I would make my claim with USAA and let them battle it out.

So I called Geico on the spot and sure enough they accepted 100% liability of the damages so I'm moving forward with them. They tried to get me to their own shop so I declined and they tried to get me to one of their locations for the damages inspection by their guy., I declined that as well. The inspection will take place at the shop I selected with one of the shop's people there.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I went directly through my insurance, they got me in a rental that same day, considering the accident happened very late in the afternoon, took my cabrio to the shop the next morning, and didn't have to pay my deductible at all since they collected it from the other persons insurance co. Overall I was very impressed with how well Progressive handled the claim.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts