Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was rear ended by a Chevy Tahoe with bull bars up front going 90 or more miles per hour. I'm okay although furious. I had everything on camera too, exceptfor the fact that the impact blew the rear hatch glass and the camera flew out as well.

He fell asleep behind the wheel he told me before he realized that being honest would hurt him so he changed it to "I'm perfectly awake and was only going 75mph!"

Now the camera is probably getting crunched on the freeway, and I'm sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck. I badly want that camera but the officers couldn't find it.

More details later.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm going to see a doctor within a couple days as a precaution, my back is a little tight but it only happened 1.5 hours ago.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Another Smart bites the dust, while doing it's job. Good thing you feel ok and it makes sense to see that Dr. You might feel a lot worse in a day or so because of rear ending.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,782 Posts
So sorry that you had to "road test" the smart safety features.

While I am sure that you are furious, the important thing is to take care of you and that back.

·
Registered
83 Posts
So sorry that you had to "road test" the smart safety features.

While I am sure that you are furious, the important thing is to take care of you and that back.
I've always wondered how much worse the crash standards are for the cabrio as compared to the hatchback.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,782 Posts
I've always wondered how much worse the crash standards are for the cabrio as compared to the hatchback.
And the debate continues.

There's a thread for that - cabrio has ADDITIONAL structural reinforcements in both the Tridion and the windshield.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Kamal was on his way to Deadwood, for the Nationals. We are all sorry that he won't be able to attend. We are happy that he is Okay & the smart did it's job.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Was rear ended by a Chevy Tahoe with bull bars up front going 90 or more miles per hour. I'm okay although furious. I had everything on camera too, exceptfor the fact that the impact blew the rear hatch glass and the camera flew out as well.

He fell asleep behind the wheel he told me before he realized that being honest would hurt him so he changed it to "I'm perfectly awake and was only going 75mph!"

Now the camera is probably getting crunched on the freeway, and I'm sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck. I badly want that camera but the officers couldn't find it.

More details later.

Yes, there's always a question on license renewals regarding if there were any instances where you lost consciousness while driving. Definitely would cause issues as falling asleep falls under that category. I have a brother-in-law that did that once and crashed into a parked car.

Glad you're well enough to post!!! Take care.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, a lesson learned. One of the paramedics suggested the same... "fabricate a leash" for the camera. Monday morning quarterbacking...

I really want that footage! He was flying.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bummer. You deleted all your suggestions. I was really busy with trying to arrange a rental car, towing of the wrecked smart, insurance stuff, and medical checkups that I was too busy to respond.

But, I understand. A little fear and hesitant to let it stick because of the issue. No worries, I'm not the kind of person to blame other people for decisions I make. :)

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
So sorry to hear about your accident. I'm relieved that you're okay. Were you in your 2009 Smart? Time for a new Cabriolet. Please take it easy and REST. Please keep us posted. DCO

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Bummer. You deleted all your suggestions.

I deleted the long post from this thread with the intention of sending it to you privately, which I just did. But it took me a day to sort out problems sending you the message because of a mailbox capacity issue that began when my paid SCoA membership could not be renewed. Check your inbox.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts

More details later.
Holy crap, dude! Glad you're OK. And i second everyone else with seeing a doctor asap. things like that pretty much ALWAYS end up hurting more later on.

Not to sound rude or anything of the sort.... but you wouldn't happen to have any pictures of the aftermath, would you? Just curious as to how the Smart held up compared to the Tahoe.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The smart 453 did its job. The Tahoe driver fell asleep behind the wheel, and that explains why I was so confused on how to avoid this needless accident. Nothing in my rear view mirror was making any sense at all, and I felt like the Tahoe was a homing missile with my name on it. He was continually ramping up at full throttle.

The smart car saved my life and may have saved the driver of the Tahoe's as well. The driver collided with me just prior to an overpass. He woke up after colliding with the smart car.

By the way, the Tahoe didn't have bull bars. Those are weak. He had a grille guard. Even tougher.

More details later.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Some more details and info will come out, but things are still a little sensitive. The crash report takes "approximately 10 days" according to the NHP (Nevada Highway Patrol) officer filing the report. He did assure me though, that it is 100% the other party at fault. But this unbelievable shocking unnecessary "accident" only happened 3 days ago.

It was so surprising to me that I heavily considered that it might be a truck full of gangsters plotting to rob me in the middle of the night by intentionally crashing into me and disabling my vehicle. Everything I saw in my rear view mirror that didn't make sense suddenly made sense when he got out the truck and said, "sorry, very long day, I completely fell asleep." OH. No wonder nothing was making sense in my rear view mirror.

A few things are still sensitive. Of course the report has to come back that supports all the verbal promises. At minimum I was diagnosed with a bruised tailbone, and I'm waiting on some x-rays to come back, while I also have a precautionary MRI scheduled for tomorrow. So I'm not 100% in the clear.

But I'll tell y'all what. I'm still in one piece with everything attached. A runaway Chevy Tahoe that outweighs me 3 to 1, while also having that beefy grille guard attached is no game to mess around with especially when 75 mph was way too slow for him and a bridge was 500 feet in front of me. It is very possible that if I had even slightly tried an evasive maneuver to avoid him that he still would have hit me anyway, this time at an awkward angle and sent me flying off the bridge, into numerous rollovers, etc,.

Assuming he wouldn't have woken up until he crashed, it was a blessing he rear ended little old smart car me. He very easily could have ended up in soft dirt, rolling his suv at 100+ mph. He very easily could have hit that bridge guardrail that was coming up, he very easily could have flown off that bridge too.

Instead, the Tahoe suffered very minor damage. The grille guard bent back and hit his bumper cover, hood, and front grille. There was a broken/cracked support beam in his grille guard. If he wanted to valet park his car after a car wash, only somebody paying close attention would even realize he crashed into anything. He could easily fake it. Basically, if he's picky he can replace his hood, replace his grille, and repaint his bumper cover. That's what it looked like roadside anyway.

He was issued a traffic violation for causing the wreck, another for all the wannabe cop lights in his front grille (a fix it ticket, so he has to return to Nevada), likely another for being a California resident with a car registered in Colorado while crashing in Nevada. The cop issued him some citations to iron out in court. But he woke up, was issued the citations, and he was allowed to drive home intact with a Tahoe in 95% clean health.

Then I had to sit with a busted up car, no rear glass, missing rear faced crash camera, other belongings that were (and still are) at the crash scene likely in shattered bits of debris at this point, from midnight until 4am waiting on a tow truck!

The little smart car still fires up. I could have driven it back to Vegas. Probably back to Los Angeles. But I wasn't going anywhere without a functional seatbelt. NO thanks. Once the seatbelt went into accident mode, it is now too short to secure a person.

Just have to deal with some back, neck, shoulder, tailbone issues, and sudden back massage cravings. I hope my XRays and MRI results come back in my favor! :nerd: I still believe if I was steady at 70 to 75 mph, he was traveling at least 20 mph faster than I was. I believe it was much faster though. I honestly believe he was between 100 and 110. All that damage to my smart occurred while being pushed forward and slowing his momentum.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts