Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - long time no see ~~ :D

My 09 Cabrio has a broken rear hatch handle. It broke off completely and is now in the glove box. So, I'll need a new one, but also need to open the hatch and cannot do so with the broken handle.

Has anyone else had this happen? :confused:

I dread going in for service ever since my friendly smart center turned into a MB dealership, so am hoping with the right advice I can order the part(s) and avoid the dealership service center.

My car is out of warranty by a few months, but this car has had a rear hatch issue since the beginning. The hatch would stick and all my strength pushing on the handle and pulling would still not open it sometimes. I took it to the smartcenter in Portland and they explained that it was forming a vacuum! I'm pretty sure that the stress I've had to put on the handle due to this vacuum is what caused the handle to break after only 23,000 miles.

Any help would be appreciated. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Hi All - long time no see ~~ :D

My 09 Cabrio has a broken rear hatch handle. It broke off completely and is now in the glove box. So, I'll need a new one, but also need to open the hatch and cannot do so with the broken handle.

Has anyone else had this happen? :confused:

I dread going in for service ever since my friendly smart center turned into a MB dealership, so am hoping with the right advice I can order the part(s) and avoid the dealership service center.

My car is out of warranty by a few months, but this car has had a rear hatch issue since the beginning. The hatch would stick and all my strength pushing on the handle and pulling would still not open it sometimes. I took it to the smartcenter in Portland and they explained that it was forming a vacuum! I'm pretty sure that the stress I've had to put on the handle due to this vacuum is what caused the handle to break after only 23,000 miles.

Any help would be appreciated. :rolleyes:
This will open it:
Emergency Rear Hatch Access

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply, but I cannot access that link!

SunnyLutz, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page or you wish to enter the club pages and you're not a Supporting Member yet. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,972 Posts
Sunny it does look like you need to be a paid member to access that page. Hopefully someone else will be able to tell you how to access it and how to order a new latch.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page or you wish to enter the club pages and you're not a Supporting Member yet. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
Why? See underlined above... :wink:

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts

This is posted in the Club Tech Library... Thinking about a Supporting Membership? Click the "SCOA CLUB" logo under any Member's name (like mine at left).:wink:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okie, Dokie you guys - thanks for all the help.

I did get in touch with the MB Dealership closest to me this week (Sacramento). They don't have anyone there who formerly worked at smartcenter Sac and they guy on the phone didn't have a clue what I was talking about, saying "we've only had this car for about a year". sheesh~

OK, on my way out to take a pic of the broken handle, as requested!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Not sure if this is the same issue, but I came out to my smart one morning and found the handle lying on the driveway. It's a rectangular curved half-shell, with a small hole in the back side and two prongs on the sides, which hold it in place. One of the prongs was broken off and I assumed it was an ignorant attempt at breaking into the vehicle.

I found out that the handle is sold as an assembly with this name and part number:

Rear Window Release A-451-747-01-87 $44.49

It's an easy do-it-yourself repair.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts