Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys relatively new to owning my 2008 smart passion and it seem to have developed a new issue that is rather annoying I have looked everywhere on the web that I can and cannot seem to find any answers. Every time when I exit the vehicle I hit the lock on the key and the rear hatch opens on the vehicle after it locks. The same thing happens when I unlock the vehicle... I have no clue why it is doing it, i have replaced the battery in the key and cleaned the internals of it with some electrical cleaner for good measure but that unfortunately didn't fix the issue, so now I'm thinking it may be a short in the wiring somewhere. Anyone have any ideas?

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
If the computer detects that the rear hatch window is not latched it will not lock the doors on the car at all. So the SAM (computer) must detecting that the window is latched shut, otherwise the doors would stay unlocked. If when you pull in to park the car, put it in park, hit the lock doors button on the button bank on the dash. It should start flashing. Then shut off the ignition, remove the key, exit the car and close the door. The car should then be locked. Try that and see if the hatch stays closed. That might be an alternative to lock it until you can get it to the dealer. When the rear window is latched can you grab ahold of it and pull it open? Maybe it isn't latching tightly enough and just require a little adjustment?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The hatch is closing all the way, it's acting as if the botton on the key is being pressed after you lock/unlock the doors with the key.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately, I only received the one key. I guess it's time for a new one then. If nothing more I could rule it out with a new key. I'll update when I am able to acquire a new one. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Be prepared for sticker shock : ). It's always good to have two keys because while the cost of one replacement is bad the cost in time and $$ to replace both is almost as much as the value of the car.... Good luck with finding out the source of your hatch problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts