Smart Car of America Forum banner

rear hatch leak

14K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  jimvw57 
#1 ·
i noticed a small dribble down the inside center of my hatch glass.

has anyone had this before and how do you top the leak

secondly

how do you remove the wiper motor cover. i was afraid of breaking it if i pulled too hard and i didn't see any screws

#2 · (Edited)
I believe you are asking ' How do you remove the plastic wiper motor housing cover?' Which would be the first step in getting to the motor and thus the rubber grommet around the wiper shaft. Where, from your description 'water dribbles down the center of the glass', would be the logical place it would be coming from.
Sorry guy, I looked for diagrams to post here, but couldn't find any.
My smart doesn't have a rear wiper. Well I tried.

Just a suggestion, due to the Volume of questions you have about your smart. Don't you think it would be a good investment and about time to get a subscription to "Evilution" The site dedicated to almost everything about smart cars. Cost about $15 USD.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ LINK BELOW \/\/\/\/\/\/ in blue
https://www.evilution.co.uk/

Good luck.

JL

#3 ·
Water leaks from the hatch are likely one of three things:

1. Your hatch doesn't have drain holes and is overfilled with water. To fix, see if you have drain holes!

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f27/holes-your-hatch-34624/

2. Something's wrong with your hatch's seals.

3. The hatch (or perhaps even the tailgate) isn't fully closed.

#11 ·
Neat, I learned something new today! I wonder if they changed those seals in newer 451s? My wiper motor loves streaming water for a good amount of minutes after a car wash...though thankfully only on the outside.

Reactions: jwight
#7 ·
i have that to do someday(get subscribed and print everything thing i can find for my car to make a book) but when you live on social security(lost my big nest egg in 911) you really have to watch the $...even $15 dollars.....thats a bummer cause there is soooo much i want to do. and i don't have that many posts(not trying to be argumentative) i have seen one over a thousand....on this post even

than miss m i have already done the holes

but i do appreciate each and every one of you when you respond. and Jo thanks for helping me with my log in problems the other day, you were very patient with me

#10 · (Edited)
i haven't gotten ALL the stuff yet. just learning everything i can so i can make my priority decisions on what i just want and what i need and the complexity of installing certain items or if in a case where i am installing one thing would it be my advantage to get another thing since i am working in the same area. like someone says "getting my ducks in a row"

I got (4 headlight leds, backup leds, backup alarm, diagnostic module, ft brake pads and driving leds) at NO CHARGE by joining Amazon Prime and getting a $70 gift charge credit card and didn't have to pay a cent

and i couldn't have used it for Evilution or the wheels only Amazon merchandise everything else comes out of social security.

if i told you EVERYTHING i wanted to do you'd blow a gasket. you see i have always been able to do what i wanted to my cars but once health issues hit me and i had to retire it's kinda a living hell wanting to do something and can't especially to a cult car like these little beauties.

#12 ·
@TRobinson6. I am a lot like you. I have been retired since 2006 and about to turn 71. With just Social Security as my primary income, my car addiction has taken a real down turn in the last couple of years.

I have personally had a lot of health issues along with Mari, my partner, who had a heart attack late last year. I have used up a lot of my savings to cover both our medical bills and in the last few years, I have sold my Corvette Z06, my '23 Ford street rod, my Dodge diesel dually and enclosed car trailer. I even sold my Ford Festiva that was my daily driver.

I am now down to my smart and my JZR three wheeler. The JZR may be the next to go as I can barely get in and out of it since I need both knees replaced. Today, I had an MRI on my left shoulder and will probably have to have some bone spurs ground down in the shoulder that is very painful and limiting my range of motion.

I can totally sympathize with you on the money situation. When things were good, I could pretty much buy whatever I wanted for my cars. Not anymore, and probably never again.

Thankfully my house has been paid off for a number of years, and I am now planning on selling it to downsize to a smaller and cheaper place. Getting old is bad enough, but having a lot of medical issues with the age is not a fun way to go through life.

Good luck to you and I hope you can get the things you want for your smart as money allows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.