Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the No Holes Front Bracket from SmartMadness and put it on before my new plates came in.

I got the call from MB saying my plates were in. :D I drove up, got 'em, went around to service, the installer asked me if I wanted a rear plate frame. I did, went in and bought the black aluminium smart one.

He asked for my front bracket, I said, "Nope" and pointed to the No Holes. He hadn't seen one before and he thought it was cool.

I asked if there was a REAR bracket, he said, "No, we mount it straight on the tailgate, stops rattling noises." He shot 4 screws through my new plate frame, license plate and into my still-new tailgate.:eek:

He did an excellent job, it's perfectly centered and level, but no bracket ??

Is this true ?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am thinking of going that route also, my dealer used the front plate mount on the back. It looks good, but now I can't open the rear hatch manually cause my fingers won't fit between the bracket and the switch cover. :(

Let's be careful out there,
Pops & Carlito

·
Banned
5,087 Posts
I had no choice, as SCI had already mounted a "smart center Indianapolis" frame on the back when they did the PDI (pre-delivery inspection). To their credit, it was perfectly centered as well.

BUT had I been given a choice, I would have purchased a mount bracket myself to permanently mount to the tailgate and THEN attach my plate to that. I would think that over time, the holes in the tailgate would enlarge, causing you to use larger and larger screws. Eventually you may have to drill new holes.

To me, it's just a poor design but from the manufacturers standpoint, this accommodates ALL license plate configurations; US, Europe, Asia, etc.

However I still would have liked to had the choice.......:(

·
Registered
164 Posts
Wish my dealership gave me the choice, when I arrived to pick up Bruno, they had already mounted my temp tag on the back and their vanity plate to the front. Oh well, guess if I ever move to a state that doesn't require a front plate, I will have to replace that panel.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for all the responses !

It's comforting knowing I didn't get "hosed" by a lazy MB installer, y'know, taking the easy way out 'cause this ain't no Mercedes.... :)

I still may get screw inserts to put in the holes, it just don't sit well with me that it's just driven into the plastic tailgate.

I didn't want the front bracket, because it looks crappy, and Texas may go to a one plate state. This way I can unbolt the front plate and put it in the garage for when Texas goes back to a two plate state, because they probably would....

·
17,363 Posts
I didn't know that you'd have to drill into the bumper for the front frame!

I could only imagine the car's pain :(

·
Registered
657 Posts
Just installed my plate this week. Used hard rubber washers at each screw to space the plate 1/4" off the panel. No way was I gonna screw the plate directly to the paint.

·
17,363 Posts
I had no choice, as SCI had already mounted a "smart center Indianapolis" frame on the back when they did the PDI (pre-delivery inspection). To their credit, it was perfectly centered as well.

BUT had I been given a choice, I would have purchased a mount bracket myself to permanently mount to the tailgate and THEN attach my plate to that. I would think that over time, the holes in the tailgate would enlarge, causing you to use larger and larger screws. Eventually you may have to drill new holes.

To me, it's just a poor design but from the manufacturers standpoint, this accommodates ALL license plate configurations; US, Europe, Asia, etc.

However I still would have liked to had the choice.......:(
Double sided tape and a license plate cover should keep the plate from rusting and the holes from stretching.

·
Registered
883 Posts
rear plate bracket

This all sounds silly to me. Our Smarts here in Canada have rear plate brackets with four threaded bolts. The plate is then mounted with acorn nuts to the bracket. :confused:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This all sounds silly to me. Our Smarts here in Canada have rear plate brackets with four threaded bolts. The plate is then mounted with acorn nuts to the bracket. :confused:
Interesting......

I wonder why the difference between borders ??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts