Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Is there any specific part numbers for the hardware for mounting the rear license plate. The dealer had a few different screws, but they couldn't locate what the screws attached to? Even after looking at their computer system they are unable to locate anything. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
28,443 Posts
Maybe there's still time to save your rear hatch. I take it this is not a smart center or they would have already screwed the plate directly onto the hatch - leaving two ugly holes when you remove it. I used double sided tape on my rear plate to avoid the holes - works great. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is at the local MB/Smart Dealer, and yes unfortunately there are already holes in the hatch. I was looking for something other than these thick screws that are in there. The screws are not the normal type that is used in other MB models either, so I am not sure where they found these at.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I see the rear license plate topic has come up many a time. Like most here, my Smarts just have two machine screws holding the plate directly to the hatch. looks kind of cheap. I looked at a couple of frames, to see what might work. finding one that could use the existing mounting holes was the issue. After some experimentation, I settled on this frame:

The picture shows the back of the frame. The listing says plastic, but it's black painted steel. With the correct square nylon screw inserts, and slightly longer screws, the plate fits nicely in the frame (has folded edges on sides and bottom to hold the plate, and the nylon screw inserts provide a bit of a standoff between the frame and the hatch. It keeps the plate in the same location, using the existing mounting holes, and looks very professional. A five minute installation, if that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts