Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Left in the 2008 Smart Cabriolet this morning. Before I hit the end of the driveway I smelled electrical smoke. when I parked and returned I noticed the right rear taillight was on, the car was parked. I checked wires, fuses, bulbs, turn signals and emergency flashers (not working on rear but flashing fast on dash), brake lights not working (switch is good), checked the fuses they are all good.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
841 Posts
It’s possible that one of the connectors has melted and is no longer making solid electrical contact. The first place to look would be the SAM.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read there are no user serviceable components in the SAM.
Is that correct?
I am going to get new bulbs (from Mercedes) for both rear taillights front turn signals and back up lights. I read that using aftermarket bulbs can cause problems.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a set of oem bulbs for sale in the smart car marketplace.
For your consideration is a set of oem replacement bulbs for a Smart 451, brand new in the box a complete set from smart. $35.00 obo Inc.shipping to the continental US only.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a set of oem bulbs for sale in the smart car marketplace.
For your consideration is a set of oem replacement bulbs for a Smart 451, brand new in the box a complete set from smart. $35.00 obo Inc.shipping to the continental US only.
Just got home from getting a complete set.. Time to have lunch then get to work changing them... Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I read there are no user serviceable components in the SAM.
Is that correct?
I am going to get new bulbs (from Mercedes) for both rear taillights front turn signals and back up lights. I read that using aftermarket bulbs can cause problems.
That depends on “the user.” The connectors I’m referring to plug into sockets on the “back” (the side that faces upward) of the SAM. The Molex connectors are made of somewhat soft, flexible plastic that can deform and melt at relatively low temperatures. I’ve seen several cases here in the SCoA forums with this happening.

I’ve never had problems with aftermarket bulbs.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I would disconnect the connector to the bulb holder and use a test light to see if power is flowing through the connector for the stop lights/turn signal & tail lamp bulb. If you have power back there then it is probably your bulb holder. I have never heard of a defective bulb holder causing the wires or connector to smoke. Keep in mind that the left and right tail lamps are on different circuits with different fuses.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: Changed all 6 bulbs Front turn, rear turn and backup lights.
Results:
Right rear turn/brake taillight still stays on all the time.
Turn signals/Emergency flashers still don't light bulbs
Brakes still don't light bulbs
Turning the lights on now light both rear running lights, Only the right side marker lights up
Front turn signals no longer work at all.
Reverse lights are working.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Check your high mounted brake bulb, and may be with the multimeter just in case. My has burned out once and it was actually shorting things as it turned out later. I had problems with shifting out of Park, hill assist off, esp/abs lights, glitching taillights as well. I thought that it was because of faulty brake switch, but it was a stupid bulb.
May be not your case, but I would still check it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the heads up.
I have replaced all the bulbs with new from Mercedes dealership. I also tried switching new bulbs.
I have cruise control, the brake switch deactivates it.

·
Registered
8,681 Posts
Why would you go to a MB dealership parts department. For light bulbs. Any auto supply store carries lightbulbs for a smart car. I have stock in Sylvania, on my smart car, I’ve replaced the tail lamps, head lamps so many times.

Just saying!

Quick question for you, have you hooked a code reader to your car? Sound like you got a wiring short someplace.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I read you have to use the correct bulbs or it will mess with the SAM.
Anyone have a wiring diagram color code and layout?

I used a OBDII reader and have no codes.
Yes I think it is a short, but wear?
I lowered the SAM and there were no burnt wires.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts