Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I did it a few years ago and I have to say that I am quite pleased with the results. It was expensive due to the fact that I had to acquire two new rear rims & tires to mount on the front. The results are better ride quality, less oversteer, and better highway handling.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
I would suggest going with a larger tire, not only does it give you a better ride, but it also gives you more options on tires. I went with a tire with more sidewall and better bump absorption as the main road I drive every day has a bunch of rough areas and my tires handle it better. The wider tires help with those nasty cross winds that blow you around on the road too.

But that is just me.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,768 Posts
Single best mod for the buck, and you can offset some of the cost by selling a front "bicycle tire" to another smartie to use as a spare.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I did it a few years ago and I have to say that I am quite pleased with the results. It was expensive due to the fact that I had to acquire two new rear rims & tires to mount on the front. The results are better ride quality, less oversteer, and better highway handling.

Less oversteer? Really???

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Many choices here,

The OEM 175/55R15
The largest tire (but not the widest) is 185/60R15
The wide 195/50R15, same height as 175/55, but 20 millimeters wider...
And the second largest, the 195/55R15

Several brands are known good, the "H" rated General RT43 is a good all season.
The Dunlop Direzza DZ102 is a good summer only tire.
My local tire shop has been getting me Ironman Road Tour 4.0 at $50 each, out the door...
Asymmetrical, one side always faces out...nice and quiet

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
My choice would be 185/55R15 General RT43.
Just a little bigger than stock, and not too wide (mileage reduction due to rolling resistance)

This tire inflates to 51 psi max, so adjust pressure. I would run 42-44 psi...
Others are Yokohama Avid Ascend, and Bridgestone Ecopia EP422, both are low rolling resistance, also with 51 psi max

Last is the Firestone Fuel Fighter, but it's a 44 psi max tire...

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Did this to my first smart, an '08, in '08. Ran the ContiPro Contacs the same as were on the rear. No difference in mpg. Great difference in abolishing the tremendous understeer built in to the car. Who needs an Elk test???? Enjoyed the car that way for 5 1/2 years 'til sold. Solid modification. Just acquired another '08 with 23K miles. Going the same route.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I went with 195/50's all the way around. Better tire buying options and I was able to get a good deal at Walmart. Living in AZ I am able to use the Direzza summer tires year-round. You have to re-train your tire pressure sensors but that is extremely easy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts