Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first car, a 2013 Smart Fortwo Pure with 11.3k miles on it, about 3 months ago. Took it to get its first oil change at about 16.8k, about 700 miles ago, (about a week and a half ago), and they told me my rear right axle seal is broken. Is the rear right or any axle seal common to break, in general? Am I going over bumps too quickly?

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
278 Posts
Where did you get the car serviced? M/B dealership or an independent garage? Is the car under any warranty? What do they mean by "broke"? Should you trust them? Since you are a first time buyer, they may be out to make some money on unnecessary repairs. Get a second opinion. And look for yourself for oil drips under the car. Search in this forum for others who may have had this problem. And if you have to ask about going over bumps too quickly, you probably are.... ;)

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
Axle seal leaks are not uncommon on the 451. If it is a minor leak you can probably live with it. If it is constantly leaking enough to puddle under the car changing the seal would be a good idea. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's actually a lot of info I left out that I shouldn't have, I apologize for it. I went to a place called Eurofix, it's the closest place that will service my car. Well, according to Smart's website, there's a Benz dealership, but according to them they don't service it, and according to Eurofix's people, they took down their sign for smart service recently. And it is covered by my warranty, and only costs me 50 bucks to get fixed. This thread was really just to see how common it was.
I'm pretty sure Eurofix actually said Rear Right Seal Leak, so there's a leak.
And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that means I'm losing oil, it means I'm losing grease that's on the axle... I'm 99% sure I'm not leaking oil.
And the end question was pretty stupid, I guess. xD

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've worked on a ton of air-cooled beetles and replaced many an axle boot with a split boot. I wonder if that can be done on a Smart?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts