Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of the things that has disappointed me with my current 2016 453 (gas, not electric) is the rear suspension. Don't get me wrong, the ride that this car provides is FAR superior to the 2008 451 that I drove for 12 years. But this car feels like it bottoms out when I go through dips or bumps. It doesn't sway or bounce excessively, but it just feels like it wants to bottom out a lot. I noticed this specifically the other day when I had a rather stout passenger with me as well.

It's only got 42,000 miles on it now (I went 189,000 miles on the factory shocks on my 451 without replacement - I'm sure they were shot), but I'm already thinking of replacing the rear shocks with something new or better. I haven't actually inspected the existing shocks for leaks or damage, but I just feel like they are useless back there. I have NO interest in changing the ride height, lower or higher, so spring replacement seems unnecessary, but I don't want to just run down to the local auto parts store and buy something without asking here about anyone's particular preference or experience. I also don't want to spend a grand on coil-overs or other solutions.

So, what rear shocks are you all running in your 453 and are you happy with them?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Factory originals at 5.5+ years and 45k miles. No problem so far. Haven’t researched to see what is available aftermarket. You should inspect for leaks and broken springs. Not heard of an issue such as this with the 453 in the U.S. so far.

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So it appears that the OEM replacement is the Bilstein 19-248257 at around $55 each.
(Thank you @smark)
Then there is a Bilstein 24264426 which is apparently an upgrade but still fits factory suspension.
The upgraded Bilstein is twice the price of the OEM.
What would make it twice as good?

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with these?

Jim

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Could the difference be for the Passion and Prime? Prime has slightly lower, stiffer suspension. Just a guess.

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,072 Posts
If you go three categories down on Rock Auto, to “Suspension Kit”, there are two Bilstein Front/Rear sets...

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you go three categories down on Rock Auto, to “Suspension Kit”, there are two Bilstein Front/Rear sets...

Yeah, thanx... but with those kits we're back close to the $1000 mark.
I'm not really wanting to change the ride height, just looking to feel a bit firmer and not feel like I'm bottoming out so often.

Did enjoy poking around the Rock Auto site though... never used them before.
Jim

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No offense, but why would I pay smart madness $79.99 for a Bilstein factory shock replacement that I can get anywhere for $54 and free shipping?

Kind of gives me the impression that the rest of their prices are madness as well.

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I'll be going with the Bilstein B6 upgraded shocks for the factory ride height.

Looking on YouTube I only see the 451 shock replacement video that shows removing the inner wheel well liner to access the upper shock bolt, but while I was digging around (running wires) in the back of my 453 I thought I saw the top bolt of the shock tower from INSIDE the car... was I seeing things?

Has anyone done, or have knowledge of, replacement of the rear shocks on the 453? I've checked Evilution's site (my first go-to for help), but he's a bit limited on 453 info... nothing on the rear suspension. Can anyone point to some additional info while I'm waiting for parts to ship?

Thanx, in advance.
Jim

·
Super Moderator
1,837 Posts
Jim - it's been years since I needed this info, but it used to be that Bilstein guaranteed their replacement shocks for life. You're on your own for the original shocks. Unlikely you will need that guarantee, but just in case, it's there or I assume it still is.

Len

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jim - it's been years since I needed this info, but it used to be that Bilstein guaranteed their replacement shocks for life. You're on your own for the original shocks. Unlikely you will need that guarantee, but just in case, it's there or I assume it still is.

Len
Yeah they claim a "Limited Lifetime Warranty" and since my lifetime is also limited... they'll probably outlast me and the car. Thanx.

Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts