Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:unsure:

hmmm.... can this 451 rear side window.
Sleeve Tints and shades Hood Bicycle part Musical instrument accessory

be modified to pop out like this 912 Porsche
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

with out too much fuss.

Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

Just kick it out just that little bit..... ?

· Super Moderator
18,148 Posts
I suppose you could cut the window off where the pillar meets the top of the door panel. Then reinstall with some sort of joint at the cut point. Add the sort of latch used on old-school manual minivan side windows, and Bob's your uncle.

I would be interested in this as well!

Reactions: twcom

· Registered
9,956 Posts
Ditto why? There isn’t a solid B pillar, separate from the door. Too attach the swing out window. It’s a Frameless window.

A couple grand in deep pockets. Run your car by Dave Kingdig automotive custom-shop.
he’ll fabricate a frame around that, for a pop out window.

· Super Moderator
18,148 Posts
Oh snap, I just remembered something. It's probably risky to cut the fake pillar in the door. The structure functions as a guide and probably support for the main window.

That means that alignment is important, and you can't vent while the main window is closed.

· Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
…don’t see why not…but then the question is why???

jetfuel …???
I want more in cabin air flow cruising with windows up. The black frame of the rear window pictured would be unaltered but for a hinge type fastener to the window more then likely lexan.
It's primarily for when the car is in this version of itself.
Wheel Tire Car Plant Vehicle

But I can imagine in street clothes cruising at highway speed could also reduce a/c use and fan blower noise disturbing the sweet exhaust note the car has.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
1,146 Posts
I doubt it’s possible to do it.
I put one of a set of vent windows in my 91 miata(glad I did as it didn’t have working a/c at the time) soon as I can I’m putting the other one in.
Not sure if it would be much of a benefit in the smart.
Best would be is sell the coupe and get the cabrio.

· Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ditto why? There isn’t a solid B pillar, separate from the door. Too attach the swing out window. It’s a Frameless window.

A couple grand in deep pockets. Run your car by Dave Kingdig automotive custom-shop.
he’ll fabricate a frame around that, for a pop out window.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

Since the window is going to hinge out from the upright black bar a frame around the top and back side of the glass would give some place to mount the pop out holder.
About 30 min work for a Dave Kingdig shop.

· Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I doubt it’s possible to do it.
I put one of a set of vent windows in my 91 miata(glad I did as it didn’t have working a/c at the time) soon as I can I’m putting the other one in.
Not sure if it would be much of a benefit in the smart.
Best would be is sell the coupe and get the cabrio.
Would love a picture of the before and after Miata window mod. Once in position space wise to have additional cars I sure will have a Cabrio the theme for that car would lean more towards soft and pretty.

· Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Why not cut a hole out of the roof, install a pop sunroof. That is possible!

If you need more air recirculation. Add these fans on the dash board, in place of the
tach and clock pods.

View attachment 72115
I have the see through top and no intent to modify it. The fans on the dash and windows up would not do much for me. It's not recirculated air I would like, I would like it flow fresh air through and out of the cabin. Normal driving the car is wonderful with the a/c on or windows down cruising. It's when really trying to push the car hard and get after it that I want the windows up and a/c off.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

· Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I’ll be more impressed if you get it to go down😆
Because of the door shape there is no place for that rear side window to natural retract to. Also for this application to have that window down negates the aero benefit of high speed driving with the windows closed. In fact the pop out window should have a bottom attachment to keep the air from flowing up into the car

· Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
…forget the window…go for doors…

jetfuel….keeping you busy
Love it but for this car I had ruled out reworking the door hinges. I am finding the parts for a pop out window easy and reasonable to find.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts