Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, sorry if i'm beating a dead horse but i cannot find an answer to this question on any forums. I added an aftermarket stereo last week with a powered subwoofer & door speakers and afterwards wished it had a little more highs. So, i want to add some tweeters in the rear to round out the sound and when I hooked up the stereo I noticed that there were 4 pairs of factory wires on the car harness that my adapter plugged into so there must be a second set of speaker wires ran somewhere in the car. I don't know if it is prewired for rear speakers or not. If so, where would the rear speaker wires terminate? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I know this is an old post, but I thought I'd share the answer in case it might save someone else time in the future. The second set of speaker wires are likely near your seatbelt reels on either side.
Search for "From the end of 2010, smart were good enough to fit the wiring for rear speakers to most cars." on this page -> Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I know this is an old post, but I thought I'd share the answer in case it might save someone else time in the future. The second set of speaker wires are likely near your seatbelt reels on either side.
Search for "From the end of 2010, smart were good enough to fit the wiring for rear speakers to most cars." on this page -> Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia
could one of these wires also be under the Dash of a 2014 Smart. When I installed my Underdash Subwoofer box I saw a very simular wire under there. At first I thought i may have disconected something but seing how it was taped off to hang there, I just left it and moved on. I have not put a speaker in the box yet. I originall had the stock radio over drawer am fm radio. I later installed a plug and play Smart High end am/fm dvd navagation unit. Now I will be wanting to add the subwoofer and really do not want an additional amp. If could hook into a pre existing rear or dash area speaker wire that might do the trick.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
It just dawned on me, would my 2014 Smart have a speaker wire under the front drivers seat where the underseat sub would have been, that I could use for a sub woofer speark hook up?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
The wire connection I found under the dash was for the right rear speaker wires. I installed a JBL stage 810 Sub speaker in the box connected to that wiring. Very pleased with the sound
the Sub and stock Door speakers give attached to the Smart Highline head unit.

Next Should be a set of tweeters placed somewhere behind and above me.

·
Registered
2015 smart Fortwo Passion Coupe
76 Posts
Very pleased with the sound the Sub and stock Door speakers give attached to the Smart Highline head unit.
Wow, I had to immediately switch my speakers. They sounded painful on certain albums.
Being from a family that loves bass, I only have a 10 and 12 inch subwoofer. You think that's a bit too much for such a small car?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I don't think it's to much. I really do like it when a big bass car it's thumping out the bass you can feel. It's just not the volume I am going to listen to music at 95 percent of the time. A deep resonating bass at lower volume is the ideal sound for me. Currently my 8 inch does not give me that. It does give me a well rounded clear sound a better than Good mid bass. I strongly believe more power would get this 8 inch closer but, .. there is the line. For my Smart I want a lot for a little. The idea of my Smart as a whole is for it to be look at, and thought "it could have come from the show room floor like that". So the sub is unseen, the head unit is stock. The door speaker grills even when do upgrade to JBL 6.5's will be stock. And the tweeters I Invision in the rear area will be unseen. The one thing I do want that will be seen but I haven't figured it out yet, is an old school slide equalizer with red lights lol. So my idea is to get a good sound with no visible change to the car. I also want very little space disruption and little additional power draw. Although I drive the car 80 percent of the time with the radio off with only the Waze and Smart navigation ladies talking to me. So back to your question. Your car is your creation and you get your sound and look to where your creativity take it. You work for your money, you spend it and make your vision come to be. It's too big or too much when YOU say its too big or too much. Bump Your Tunes and bounce your neck with the pride of accomplishment.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Another reminder is that my Smart initially came with the AM/FM radio with the change drawer under it. With that radio I thought the door speakers where the worst ever. I made a plug and play upgrade to the Smart High Line DVD Navigation Bluetooth radio and the extra power changed the stock door speakers to a really decent sound.. I believe I am now underpowering the JBL Stage 810 the same way. So it's decent no but if I ever power it sfficiently it would be really good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.