Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I bought a pair of 4” speakers to put in the back of my 453 prime. I’m going to install where it looks like they go. My rear panels have an integrated grill but no speakers. Speakers I bought are shallow mount and should fit there nicely. My question is are there speaker wires there. I thought I saw a pick with panels removed and it was there but not 100% sure. Saw another pic of a 2011 that had a speaker wire wrapped up down by the seat belt roll on floorboard. They said that wire was for a tweeter. Not sure. Just want to know if my prime is already wired for rears or do I gotta run wires to the radio? If I have to run wires to the radio. Do I have to remove the radio or can I get to it under the dash. If I have to remove the radio. How? Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey there - did you get the installation done on the rear speakers? I'm about to do the same thing and man, there are very few instructions out there on the internet for how to do this particular job.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did it. Had to run my own wires. Not hard to do. There is a video on YouTube with a guy installing a subwoofer system for an ATV or boat. He has a cabriolet. That's how I found out how to remove stereo and which wires to tap into. It was quite simple. Since then I installed a 8" subwoofer and a touchscreen head unit I got off aliexpress for $150. My sound system kicks ass now. I love it. I also have wifi. Watch Amazon prime video in my car all the time. Luvin it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The name of the YouTube video is Smart 453 customized rear speaker stereo system. By freddy b smart. It will help you. You may have to watch it a couple times to see the correct wires. It the connector with 4 wires on one side and three on the other side of plug. My speaker wires were marked with a black dot to show negative. Good luck my brother.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks friend! The one thing I've not been able to find is a guide to peeling off the inside "B-pillar" panels to get at the factory speaker mounting locations & also whether 4" speakers actually fit in there nicely. Freddy B from the youtube kind of bypassed that whole operation. :D I do appreciate that smart seems to have made the car to actually be dismantled & reassembled, that certainly isn't the case with all manufacturers.

I'm probably going to keep the factory head unit. I'm a bit of a weirdo in that I actually prefer the simplicity & lack of screen.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah I've signed up for Evilution, super excellent stuff, but there doesn't seem to be anything about the interior trim around the "trunk". Anyway I'll give it a go soon and post my results.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Two screws top and bottom piece. They just pop out. Gotta finagle the cables that hold tailgate. Super ez. I duct taped my speakers to inside of panel. Padding and sides of car hold in place perfectly. Used 4" scoche speakers. Previous owner switched door speakers. Not sure what kind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts