Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when installing rear speakers which way to do the wiring is best

1. run the left rear spkr off the left front and the right rear off the right front
or
2. run the left rear spkr off the right front and the the right rear off the left front...for an "x" crossover sound

·
Registered
414 Posts
Are you installing an aftermarket stereo? If so, each channel should have its own pair of wires.

If you are planning on connecting to the existing speakers, you will change the impedance, depending on if you wire in parallel or series. I’m not sure of the specs of the factory stereo, but it’s possible requiring could damage the stereo.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
when installing rear speakers which way to do the wiring is best

1. run the left rear spkr off the left front and the right rear off the right front
or
2. run the left rear spkr off the right front and the the right rear off the left front...for an "x" crossover sound
Never cross the speakers for "x" crossover. Vadssom is right, you cannot come off of original speakers. The stock head unit only has something like 12 watts/channel and the impedance will try to draw too much power. You can use an after market stereo with outputs for 4 speakers. Most will have around 50 watts/channel. You can run the stock speaker wires to an aftermarket amp with high inputs, then run to 4 speakers as long as you buy the right amp. Each speaker needs its dedicated wire from the amp/head unit.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I wouldn't bother with rears. I upgraded to 6.5 components in the doors and that was fine....until i wanted more bass then I did the stealthbox from JL Audio and Rockford amp. Powered fronts and bridged rear to sub. Will be doing an aftermarket head again this spring, treble and bass are not enough adjustments to get the sound I like.

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
I would buy a better aftermarket sound system. That supports, rears speaker.

Other wise, just up grade you front speakers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The smart has rear speaker outputs.

White wires are left front
Grey wires are right front

Green wires are left rear
Purple wires are right rear

Wires with a stripe are negative. If you have factory tweeters, the rears are hooked up to them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts