Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ned, No I don't have a website and I am not in any sort of business. I'm just a Smart Car owner and enthusiast who came across a small parts inventory and purchased it.
Best thing is to just contact me directly at [email protected]
Thanks, sykes

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have always assumed they were for all Smarts (especially the 451s and the 450s), but I really shouldn't comment about ALL because I am not familiar withy the 453s even though I have been looking for one to buy. Again, just assuming, I don't think Smart changed its entire frame setup to be different from the 450s/451s and the 453s.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CCJ22, To play if safe, they will work on the 451s and the 450s.
I have Never ever mentioned anything about 453s.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CCJ22, Do you want a pair? Just choose which ones you want and I'll send them off to you. I take PayPal Friends & Family.
Just wondering, do you have a 450 or a 451?

Thank You, sykes05

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ned, Do you want a pair? Just choose which ones you want and I'll pack them up. I take PayPal Friends & Family because I'm not an entity or business, just an enthusiast like you. All I would need is your complete address.
Thanks, sykes05

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
The part you are referring to is not a "swing axle" but is called a "De Dion Tube". I don't think the plugs are a good idea. They are not watertight and will allow moisture - especially salty moisture in winter - to enter the tube but not allow moisture in the tube to evaporate - promoting corrosion.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's why I cleaned my tube out, dried it, and installed mine with some adhesive/glue to make them sealed tight at the plugs. Then I made sure I made small vents a top of the tube where only a minute amount of moisture ~may get in, but whatever minute amount that may have gotten in by way of a splash or something like that - can also vent out.
Why am I getting bashed about these plugs any way?
Thank You for the varied school of thoughts about their use. It is good to hear others' experiences and views about anything.
sykes05

·
Registered
77 Posts
CCJ22, Do you want a pair? Just choose which ones you want and I'll send them off to you. I take PayPal Friends & Family.
Just wondering, do you have a 450 or a 451?

Thank You, sykes05
Hi there. I have a 453 so I don't think these will work for me.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
OK
So how much for a pair?

and FYI the deDion tubes on the 451 are NOT solid, they have vent holes in the top/front cross section

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
The part you are referring to is not a "swing axle" but is called a "De Dion Tube". I don't think the plugs are a good idea. They are not watertight and will allow moisture - especially salty moisture in winter - to enter the tube but not allow moisture in the tube to evaporate - promoting corrosion.
^^^^^Ditto.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have them posted on our site for $13 a Pair & that includes the shipping.
I'm at the point where I am losing money with very little parts and items left, but I can't keep it all.
I take PayPal Friends & Family really - because otherwise PayPal takes a % and it is Not like I'm in business or anything like that.
All I would need is for you to select which pair and a complete Name & Address.
My email and PayPal Account is [email protected]

PS: I was just thinking due to some mixed opinions. One can just use them in bad weather (Winter) and take them out during nice weather (Summer), too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts