Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amazon.com: CIPA 60300 Wide Angle Lens - 11" x 14": Automotive

I'm reposting my review on Amazon to here:

The rear window visibility of my smart fortwo convertible was a bit claustrophobic. I looked into a lot of aftermarket backup camera solutions and stumbled upon this. Buying the 11" x 14" size, I cut it in half horizontally, flipped the top half upside down and stuck it to the bottom of the back window. It now completely obsoletes both side mirrors; it is dramatically wider in both directions and leaving virtually no blind spot. The fortwo is the perfect car for this product because the rear window has very little slant and no ass-end sticking out, so there is neither distortion nor obstruction. Because I left a gap in the top of the window, I can still tell when a car is very close to me.

Twelve bucks and no hassle, you can't go wrong with this.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Youtube Fresnel lens (solar bbq) or (solar torch). Some pretty destructive power can be had by a Fresnel lens if the sun is at the right angle. I'd be cautious when using that type of product in your car on a sunny day. I'm sure that the near vertical angle of the Fresnel lens will prevent it from cooking your car, but still, imagine putting this in a coupe model with the hatch open and cooking your tailgate or something else.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The lens is set in the negative, i.e. it isn't magnifying the image, it is reducing it. The headlight glare is absolutely reduced over stock, I was checking that out last night.

In 84 amazon reviews no one had the thing igniting their car, I really doubt it is possible. One person did have the car get hot enough that the plastic melted, but it's normal vinyl so I'm sure other things could have been damaged leaving them in the car.

It is easy enough to install that you could remove and replace it every time really.

The one thing I am curious about, is if the rear defroster wires can melt the thing.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The lens is set in the negative, i.e. it isn't magnifying the image, it is reducing it. The headlight glare is absolutely reduced over stock, I was checking that out last night.

In 84 amazon reviews no one had the thing igniting their car, I really doubt it is possible. One person did have the car get hot enough that the plastic melted, but it's normal vinyl so I'm sure other things could have been damaged leaving them in the car.

It is easy enough to install that you could remove and replace it every time really.

The one thing I am curious about, is if the rear defroster wires can melt the thing.
That's pretty cool and cheap too. But the Arizona sun would probably melt the inside of my car, no?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvinyl_chloride

"PVC starts to decompose when the temperature reaches 140 °C with melting temperature starting around 160 °C."

Granted, one review out of like 84 on Amazon says that it did indeed melt after a couple years. But it seems like there's enough margin of error that you can avoid getting it to 284 degrees Fahrenheit in your car. Fresnel lens aside, that can't be healthy for anything else in the interior.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts