Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 451 Cabrio. Drove yesterday without incident. I did not set the e-brake when I parked it. This morning I started the car and began to back up; after I had moved only a few feet, the right rear wheel suddenly locked up and refuses to budge. I searched the forum and didn't find anyone who had exactly the same symptoms; I'd appreciate any ideas! Brake adjuster?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About 100K, but almost all highway miles, so the brakes really don't get used much. I've only had to replace the front pads once.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2008 451 Cabrio. Drove yesterday without incident. I did not set the e-brake when I parked it. This morning I started the car and began to back up; after I had moved only a few feet, the right rear wheel suddenly locked up and refuses to budge. I searched the forum and didn't find anyone who had exactly the same symptoms; I'd appreciate any ideas! Brake adjuster?
I have the same problem!
I was given a Smart Car for my daughter by a friend; the caveat that I fix it.
The car goes into both forward and reverse gear and tries very hard to move, but will not move.
I put the car on jack stands and put it in gear and discovered the right rear wheel turns in both drive and reverse, but the left rear wheel is locked; it will not turn freely either.
I suspect something is going on in the transmission, but maybe someone out there knows something!

Best regards,
Dave McKeever

·
Registered
618 Posts
Brake drum issue , reason the one wheel will turn while the other is frozen is the differential . It’s how it works .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Brake drum issue , reason the one wheel will turn while the other is frozen is the differential . It’s how it works .
Excellent, thanks for the reply!
But the brake drum & the differential are two different things.
I'm curious how the differential works in this car?!
Must be built into the transmission/transfer case?
I realized that I might as well work from the outside in; if I have to take out the transmission, the wheels and shafts will have to come out anyhow.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I realized that I might as well work from the outside in; if I have to take out the transmission, the wheels and shafts will have to come out anyhow.
Start with the simple possible solution! Why are you suspecting the transaxle? Very unlikely there is an issue with it. It is totally normal for only one wheel to spin when the other is locked up by the brake.

·
Registered
323 Posts
While overseas for over a month some years ago, I returned to find my brakes very rusty. I was able to break things free and drove it a short distance to find the brakes smoking hot. When they broke loose, the brake drum shoes came separated from their liners and fell into a condition where they were breaking all the time and making the system very hot. It would not surprise me to see something similar with what you describe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow... thanks so much for the input folks! This is awesome...
As Oliver has mentioned, I will start with the simplest first by starting at that wheel and working inward [brake drum and shoes examination first].
I still suspect transaxle though because when I rock the wheel back and forth it is not sticky at all, but it stops with a definite metallic sound and the axle does not move at all.
Can anyone recommend a Smart Car Service Manual, there appear to be quite a few available online!

On a side note... I put the VIN number in the internet and got everything except anything related to a model number like 450, 451, etc.
It's a 2008 "ForTwo", with "Passion" trim, something called a trim variation named "Pure"
Everything I seem to find relates to a model number?

Dave

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,063 Posts
I have a small PDF that explains our Getrag transmission. But I don't know if I could post a PDF on this new forum. Concerning a service manual the closest thing we got was the 2008 Fortwo Tech Manual. I have it on a 37 mb PDF but don't know how to post it. DCO

·
Registered
333 Posts
Try the transmission relearn procedure first. My car locked up like that once... after a relearn it went back to normal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks a million folks!
Transmission relearn procedure? I look forward to figuring that out... is there a link to how I would check that?
And thank you for the 'tech manual' jwight [and DreamCarOwner]; if yours is different, you could just email it to me?
Dave

·
Registered
333 Posts
Start by locking/unlocking car, enter car and put foot on brake, key in ignition... to position 2 (do not start), slowly move gear shift thru gears... P, R. N, D, move left then forward and back, then move back to right, then N, R, P. Turn ignition off, remove key and lock/unlock again. I am not sure if the lock/unlock helps, but that is the way I have been doing it.
Good luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Start by locking/unlocking car, enter car and put foot on brake, key in ignition... to position 2 (do not start), slowly move gear shift thru gears... P, R. N, D, move left then forward and back, then move back to right, then N, R, P. Turn ignition off, remove key and lock/unlock again. I am not sure if the lock/unlock helps, but that is the way I have been doing it.
Good luck, keep us posted.
Nice! Thanks... gonna try this right after I finish online class this morning!
I look forward to going for a short cruise before noon :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts