Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok... the transmission re-learn did not work [even after trying a few times and some other versions of it online; most much simpler than cycling through the gears].
I did run across something related to the 'parking pawl'; is there a chance that the parking pawl is engaged and won't release? Does it only lock one wheel [specifically the left rear wheel]? Revving the engine slightly in gear tries to engage the left rear wheel, but it's clearly 'mechanically' jammed by something.
Oh... and tomorrow I will check the drum and brake assembyl; just to be absolutely sure!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Start with the simple possible solution! Why are you suspecting the transaxle? Very unlikely there is an issue with it. It is totally normal for only one wheel to spin when the other is locked up by the brake.
Well Oliver, you were right!
I was sure it wasn't the brakes because I could rock the wheel back and forth about an inch.
But I had to hammer the drum off to find one of the shoes was literally welded to the drum; I had to chip it off with a hammer and cold chisel.
I'm really happy that it's the 'simple solution'!
Dave

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,186 Posts
I had that happen. One of the 'bonded' brake linings became unbonded. the friction material cleanly separated from the steel shoe and jammed the drum. I discovered it backing out of a parking spot. Moving forward broke it free, and backing ah=gain jammed it.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I had that happen. One of the 'bonded' brake linings became unbonded. the friction material cleanly separated from the steel shoe and jammed the drum. I discovered it backing out of a parking spot. Moving forward broke it free, and backing ah=gain jammed it.
Had that happen to a ‘70s Honda Civic Years ago. Came down the hill from garage, stopped at the road and the front disc pads on both sides broke free from the plates. Factory pads.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice! Thanks... gonna try this right after I finish online class this morning!
I look forward to going for a short cruise before noon :)
Start by locking/unlocking car, enter car and put foot on brake, key in ignition... to position 2 (do not start), slowly move gear shift thru gears... P, R. N, D, move left then forward and back, then move back to right, then N, R, P. Turn ignition off, remove key and lock/unlock again. I am not sure if the lock/unlock helps, but that is the way I have been doing it.
Good luck, keep us posted.
Interestingly... after I got the car moving by fixing/replacing the brake shoes; I had this very problem!
The car just simply kicked out of gear and wouldn't move or go into either reverse or forward gears. I rolled it back to the curb and tried this a few times and it began to work again!
I plan on giving this to my 17 yo daughter; I sure hope this isn't a continuing problem!
Dave

21 - 26 of 26 Posts