Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The little gas props on my rear window have quit working. Before I ordered new ones, I decided to see what was involved in replacing them. On the upper end, there is a hex shouldered ball that appears to screw into the window frame, so I proceeded to remove it (with some difficulty). BAD IDEA. It screws into a nut on the inside that is NOT a captive nut. By pulling out on the stud as I unscrewed it, I finally managed to get it unscrewed and of course the nut was now free and lying inside the window frame which is glued to the window. By drilling a 1/8 hole in the plastic close to the hole, and using a small screwdriver with a long blade I finally managed to position the nut on the hole and prying to hold it tight, got the stud started threading into it. Since the stud was obviously not meant to be removed, I assumed the strut must be able to be popped off the ball, but if it is, I can't find the secret. Has anybody replaced these struts, and if so, HOW??

·
Super Moderator
29,144 Posts
The Evilution answer: https://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?menu=exterior&mod=666 :)

misfitsailor got his from Amazon and made this comment:
There is a metal clip on each end of your original strut. Use a thin screwdriver to lever the clips outward. The strut can then be popped off. The new struts simply push on to the ball-shaped fittings, and now your rear window stops falling on your head!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine have no metal clips. They have what seems to be a plastic keeper, but trying to pop it doesn't seem to do anything but scar up the plastic. Mine is an early 08 model and a few things on it seem to be slightly different. This must be one. Thanks anyway

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
window props

Hi...back again after a quick trip to the shop. My first attempt at removing the props was inside the shop....the old peepers just aren't what they used to be. Backed the car out of the shop into the bright sunlight where I could see what you were talking about. Ten minutes and they were off. Tlhanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts