Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below, take note of the rubber boot....
Below, GENTLY remove/release the rubber boot from the bottom only so it looks like this....
Below, I suggest using a DRY LUBRICANT such as SAIL KOTE.....
Below, Use a small amount to wet the black-shaft and let a VERY LITTLE amount drizzle into the SOLENOID housing....
Once completed, GENTLY put the RUBBER BOOT back it its place.
If you have a 12v Bench Power Supply, you can better your chances of spreading the lubrication by powering the SOLENOID about 5-10 cycles.
NOTE: The NEGATIVE lead is the side closest to the black side of the housing and the POSITIVE is closest to the white side of the housing.

NOW JUST DO EVERYTHING IN REVERSE and you may have saved yourself a few bucks and aggravation. :D:spots:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After discovering this problem, you kind of wonder if this is one of those fixes that should be performed after you get your Smart, like the gear shift lube procedure. :confused:

·
Administrator
29,705 Posts
First, thanks for the three threads, photos and your time in doing the DIY! :cool:

We can merge the three threads for you but it may throw some of the posts out of order - your call. :)

·
Registered
787 Posts
my vote for such DIY threads is to lock them upon completion and then delete the non-OP posts that don't add/update/fix any part of the OP's procedure.

In short, lock it then delete the noise - like this post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info in this DIY on fixing the rear window latch solenoid! Mine has been flaky for quite a while. I would have to pull on the latch while actuating the release to get it to open fully, so I could then close the window.

Well, a couple of days ago, it just stopped working. The lights would blink when I used the keyfob to try to fully open the latch (window was open - I was trying to shut it). I could hear a click, but no motion. I found this thread, and stopped by the local boat store for some of that Sail Kote dry lube. (The boat store was not too busy!) :)

The instructions were super-clear and it is an easy job. But, I found my solenoid was stuck "in" and I could not budge it out. I thought I might have to get a new one, but I tried prying the solenoid housing apart to see if I could spray the lube in there better. But when I got it partially open, the spring finally popped the actuator out! I then sprayed the solenoid shaft with the lube, and went back and hooked it up to the car temporarily. I was able to actuate it several times using the key fob button.

Then I replaced the rubber boot, and re-installed it.

GOOD TO GO!

Thanks again for the info. Thought I would share the slight difference in case someone else runs into this. :)
https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=28056

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.