Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of days ago, in the pouring rain, my rear window would not latch. Luckily the weight of the window allowed me to just leave it down/unlatched until I got home. No water got in even in a pouring rain.

The tailgate outer body panel and weatherstripping at top of tailgate has to be removed to get to the latch mechanism, about a 10 min job. The problem turned out to be the release lever was hanging up on the latch housing. A little well placed lube corrected the problem and everything works fine.

I had been ignoring the times that it would take a couple of "slams" to get the window to close. It tried to warn me.......

Denis

·
Dont Feed The Trolls ^Mod
5,933 Posts
I have found, and it may not be the same thing, that when that happens I just need to make sure its UNLOCKED! For some reason, when I unlock it and open it, it locks back. Unlocking it again (a couple of time does the trick) and no more slam slam.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had tried what you are suggesting. In my case it was clearly hung up inside, and the area that was sticking is not visible from looking down the throat of the latch.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
.....actually the lock is an electronic disconnect lock, which does not have an impact on the mechanical components that latch the window.

Inside the tailgate door is an electric solenoid that pulls a rod to release the mechanical mechanism. When you push the window release above the license plate to open the window, you are pushing a button that energize the solenoid. When you use your key fob button, or interior button, to lock the car the car's electronics opens the circuit between the solenoid and the release button. In essence the window release solenoid is turned-off.

Smart does have an emergency procedure to open the rear window mechanically in the event the solenoid fails.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
I told someone (can't remember who) that the other day that was how I have fixed sticky rear windows on a few local cars (closest smart dealer is 3 hours away so I work on them sometimes) My preference is Dupont Dry Teflon Lube.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can post a copy of the Smart procedure for unlocking the rear window/tailgate in the event the electronic controls are not functioning if folks would like. However the file is about 220KB because of pictures and I do not know how to attach a file that large.

Your advise is appreciated.

Denis

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Actually that is covered in the owners manual. So many people (me included) never seem to read that. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kermit, I see we both have 2008 vehicles however I can not find any reference to manually releasing the back window in my owners manual. It must be a case the selective-male-blindness disease that my wife says I have. Would you be kind enough to tell me which page it appears on in your owners manual?

Denis

·
Super Moderator
29,394 Posts
I think it's actually in the technical guide:
Emergency unlocking of rear-end door
The rear-end door in the smart fortwo can be unlocked from the inside in an emergency, if the trunk lid central
locking motor for operating the rotary tumbler is defective or de-energized.
Emergency unlocking in smart fortwo coupé
To do this, a small tab at the side of the trunk lid lock
paneling must be carefully bent over or broken off to
produce a small hole.
A shop-made wire must then be inserted through the
small hole so that enough downward pressure is
exerted on the relay lever in the door lock to unlock
the rear-end door at the top.
A description of the procedure for manufacturing the
emergency release wire in the workshop is given in
the Workshop Information System (WIS).
Emergency unlocking in smart fortwo cabrio
In order to open the two door locks in the cabrio, a
hole must be accurately marked on the inside of the
rear-end door on each side. Then a hole of 0.2 in (5
mm) diameter is drilled through the paneling on each
side of the rear-end door..
A suitable screwdriver is inserted into each hole and
the rear-end door is unlocked by moving the screw
driver handles simultaneously in the directions of the
arrows.
The exact dimensions for the holes and a detailed
description of the procedure can be found in the
Workshop Information System (WIS).
:)

A Actuation direction
1 Tab/paneling hole on trunk lid lock
2 Emergency release wire

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Kermit, I see we both have 2008 vehicles however I can not find any reference to manually releasing the back window in my owners manual. It must be a case the selective-male-blindness disease that my wife says I have. Would you be kind enough to tell me which page it appears on in your owners manual?

Denis
I am sorry Denis - I was wrong. jwight got it right. I printed out the Technical Manual and keep a copy in my car as well so all these manuals seem to run together. I was wrong and got my manuals mixed up. :eek:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Also, open your liftgate and slowly press it into the rubber seal noting where it makes contact first. At that point, look around the rest of the window-to-seal and see how much of a gap there is. My rear window must be slammed to get it to latch, too. The sides of the window make contact with the rubber seal much sooner than the middle where the latch loop is. This pressure makes it very hard to get the window to latch and seal tight without slamming the thing closed. The shape of the window is different than the shape of the hole it fits. Once the pressure of the latch is on it, after it locks, the pressure warps the window so the seal makes all the way around.

Many times I can't get the interior light to go off automatically because that's the "something's open still" indicator, I found, as there is no indicator on all the fancy displays for door ajar that tells you what's open. Almost always it means getting back outside and re-slamming the rear gate my slamming didn't latch because I was in a hurry and didn't positively make sure it was latched.

Either the window or its hole is warped. If I loosened it, it wouldn't be sealed. If I slam it hard enough, the window will break and the South Carolina glass law will force my insurance company to buy me one that fits it. I'm afraid to ask my stealer what he wants for that!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I got tired of slamming, banging or driving around for awhile and then reclosing the rear hatch. :mad: I read all the strings and didn't want to drive to the dealer. After weeks of being pissed off ever other closing.... I got a can of spray silicone out and gave it a shot. :rolleyes:

The latch immediatlly released and has worked perfectly, for several days now. :D

The silicone spray is now stored in the rear area and ready for the next time. Seems like an easy fix after all. :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,298 Posts
I got tired of slamming, banging or driving around for awhile and then reclosing the rear hatch. :mad: I read all the strings and didn't want to drive to the dealer. After weeks of being pissed off ever other closing.... I got a can of spray silicone out and gave it a shot. :rolleyes:

The latch immediatlly released and has worked perfectly, for several days now. :D

The silicone spray is now stored in the rear area and ready for the next time. Seems like an easy fix after all. :cool:
Appears this worked for you and I hope it stays working and the :D does not turn back into a :mad:. I would guess at the next dealer visit, then it can be looked at more closely. Keep us posted if the issue resurfaces.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
The other day my back window wouldn't latch. It was -15 degrees and 11:00 at night. I slammed it a few times and was concerned it might break. Tried leaving a door open and closing the window but nothing worked. I left the car running and retreated inside for a bit. It was cold out there. When I came back out, it closed just fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
During that rare emergency when my driver, passenger and front window are blocked I'll locate my nearest rear hatch. I'll then find myself my "shop-made" emergency release wire that I prepared just for this event and carefully unlock the rear hatch leaping to safety.

In all seriousness, great post. I wandered here because my rear window snapped off due to the cheap plastic that holds the window in place. Got a new rear window on and now it won't close.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Several days ago I had the same problem after having left the window up for several days in the hot sun. Found that the sun heated the gaskets and made them expand, keeping the window from closing enough to engage the latch. As soon as evening came and they cooled down, everything returned to normal

1 - 17 of 17 Posts