Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Move the right hand stalk downward. Refer to your owner's manual for exact details.

Thanks Bob, but it’s the actual relay I have been looking for. I can hear the relay clicking somewhere around the fuse box area so I removed the cover. Regrettably it only reveals a PCB and some soldered terminations. There’s very little information online regarding a malfunctioning rear wiper. But I have had the motor out and powered it up using a separate power source so I know that this is ok. I need to locate the relay to check it’s supplying power on the switched terminal.

Logically with no power at motor (switched) terminal yet a clicking solenoid/relay, I can only assume that the relay is faulty.

Any help that you or others might be able to offer I would be very grateful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I checked the instructions that I have. The SAM needs diagnostic to be run through STAR machine. But if you hear clicking, relay is working. Check wiring from motor to SAM is my next suggestion, unless you confirmed that the SAM terminal output is not sending signal?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for that. I will do as you suggest and check the wiring first. Not sure if the relay can be released from the SAM unit anyway, got a feeling that it’s an integral part of the unit!

Thanks again.
Dave

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Hmm. Wonder if they made a change? The switch is connected via CAN to the SAM in the diagram I saw. Then the SAM to the wiper motor. I did not find a diagram of where the location of the wiring is run I'm afraid, at least not yet, nor troubleshooting steps....

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thanks Bob, but it’s the actual relay I have been looking for. I can hear the relay clicking somewhere around the fuse box area so I removed the cover. Regrettably it only reveals a PCB and some soldered terminations. There’s very little information online regarding a malfunctioning rear wiper. But I have had the motor out and powered it up using a separate power source so I know that this is ok. I need to locate the relay to check it’s supplying power on the switched terminal.

See these photos of the SAM at fq101:

http://www.fq101.co.uk/how-to-guides/fortwo-451/electrical/503-sam-relays-1

Looks like the rear wiper relay is relay K13 on the back side of the SAM. Yes, is is likely soldered on and would require disassembly of the SAM to remove/replace.

~toaster

·
Registered
332 Posts
That's also from a UK MHD car, so who know if the relays are the same for North American cars? Still looking for more info. :)

Here's a look at relays from Evilution: https://www.evilution.co.uk/info/sam_unit_fuse_box.htm

Evilution is UK as well! :D They don't specify what year or sub-species these photos are from.

They use a different number for the relay also, it is #3 on Evilution's photos & description... but it is in the same physical location as the one referenced at fq101.

Evilution also gives the connector and pin number controlled by the relay... handy troubleshooting info.

~toaster

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Evilution is UK as well! :D They don't specify what year or sub-species these photos are from.

They use a different number for the relay also, it is #3 on Evilution's photos & description... but it is in the same physical location as the one referenced at fq101.

Evilution also gives the connector and pin number controlled by the relay... handy troubleshooting info.

~toaster

Thank you for that information.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts