Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
He's not mine
9,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For about a week, I've been driving around with my rear wiper in the raised position (away from glass). It suddenly started running intermittently with a single sweep once about every 10 seconds or so. This is without the wipers turned on, as long as the ignition is turned on or in accessory.
It did stop for a day or so, then started doing it after I accidentally bumped the stalk.
Any suggestions, hopefully, short of finding a wire to cut?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Rear wiper works by selecting rear wiper from the stalk or if the front wipers are on and you select reverse, the rear wiper works.

So its to do with either the stalk or to do with the reversing circuit. My money is on the stalk being faulty, and that you need a new stalk. (On Smarts its always internal faults on the crap stalks LOL) They are not that expensive new or secondhand. Good Luck.

·
He's not mine
9,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh. I was unaware there is a separate setting for the rear wiper. I thought it just made a single sweep when wipers were on and you put the car in reverse. So, it's possible to run the rear without having the fronts turned on, if I'm reading you right. That seems kinda dumb, so maybe I'm not.
I drove a cabrio for more than 10-years, and they don't have a rear wiper.
Could be operator error then. I'll check it out and see if I've stupidly turned the rear wiper on without knowing it.

·
Registered
715 Posts
It's about the times I have the front wipers on and don't want the rear ones on.

I believe the wiper stalk moves in and out. Push it forward to run the rear wiper and pull it towards you and it turns them off. I'll confirm tomorrow.

I am considering a rear wiper delete to fit a rear window louver.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts