Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to see how well the range estimation function performed against the odometer so I've been resetting the trip odometer every time I charge the vehicle. To date, the range estimator has tracked reasonable well with the odometer. The total miles usually started around 67-75 miles and tracks well as the battery depletes. In other words, the combined total (miles travelled + miles remaining) remains consistent down to the 20% SOC at least.

The one recent time it didn't track was when my daughter drove the car. The next refill showed a total of 60 miles which was low - I suspect due to a more aggressive driving style. As I drove the car, the combined total rose to 75 miles, consistent with the results I've been getting with my currently conservative driving style.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
50-70 miles. Depending on your right foot, the weather (cold or hot) and how much you are using the heating element or the air conditioner...

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
My experience has been a bit different - in average urban/suburban driving at less than 50 mph, my range estimation indicator generally underestimates the range, especially in the 90 to 30 SOC range. In fact, it can be more a source of range anxiety than an alleviation of it. I use the trip odo and the SOC gauge to make a running mental range estimation and take the "range left" indication with a whole shaker of salt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts