Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now if Mercedes would bring the A class over into smart centers rebadged as smart instead of a Nissan product, that would bring some traffic to the show rooms,
Hell-o not even re badge it just bring it in as a Mercedes A class and sell it through the smart centers. Major traffic boost. 4 door product solved. Now if it could have removeable plastic skin, enlarge the front windshield for a lower hood and it would start looking more smart like.
Just thinking.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
A small flaw with your statement.
Now if Mercedes would bring the A class over into smart centers rebadged as smart instead of a Nissan product, that would bring some traffic to the show rooms,
Mercedes is not rebadging the Nissan. smart USA (penske) is.

Also, a good number of those showrooms share a facility with Mercedes dealers, I bet they wish Mercedes was already bring the A class over here, but for some reason they are not.

Besides, the A class is huge compared to the smart or Mica

·
Super Moderator
28,274 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts

Also, a good number of those showrooms share a facility with Mercedes dealers, I bet they wish Mercedes was already bring the A class over here, but for some reason they are not.

I'll have what's in his bag +1

There is nothing "smart" about an A class. It's a MERCEDES and no dealer carrying both brands is going to want the A class in the smart showroom.

In the UK where it appears the A class is largely CDI based, it will set you back a cool $25,000 - 32,000 US - hardly the price point for the interim "forfour" 5-door that The Roger is looking to bail out his smartUSA venture?

To an earlier post of "Now if it could have removeable plastic skin, enlarge the front windshield for a lower hood and it would start looking more smart like" don't think looking like a smart accomplishes a darn thing if there is no smart DNA.

IMHO, removeable plastic skin really does not sell cars. Ask Jill and Government Motors how those plastic skins are working out for Saturn (I know, they weren't removeable)?

The long and short of this is, Roger's Business Plan was based on high gas prices, full employment and a strong economy. Today, we live in a very different world.

The basis of every true smart is the smart safety concept, the tridion safety cell and being environmentally friendly in manufacturing, usage and disposal.

Not sure how anxious smart is to allow The Roger to rebadge "not so smart" cars as smarts?

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,970 Posts
As stated in other threads. Smart USA needs to start marketing the car from the safety standpoint really advertise and stress how safe it is. Also, with the current push that all of us go "Green" emphasizing how "Green" the car is should help sales.

We thought we were buying it for the FUN factor and here we were being politically correct. :(

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fully aware of who's rebadging what...

I just failed to finish the run on sentence with "that Penske wants to bring over".
It would still bring a lot of traffic to the smart centers and greatly help in connecting the smart identity to the Mother Ship.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I'd have to agree--the A-Klasse is a bit too premium of a price, and the non-MBZ dealers would have trouble putting it alongside their KIAs (that one's for you Neon).

However, for your viewing enjoyment, here is the current model of the A Class. Pretty sweet looking

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
So the Micra forfive is USA only ?
Correct.
Smart USA (Penske), realizing they need something more in the lineup here in the states, did not want to wait until the MB/Renault redesign of the Twingo, Fortwo, Forfour to come along in 2013 for something else to offer. They are pushing ahead hoping to gain a bit more than a year on having something new to offer.

Since the Micra is not offered in the states folks can't just pick one up at a Nissan Dealer so yes it will be unique to the states.

And since Nissan and Renault are closely tied together, it's not expected to be a big leap to the new smarts in 2013.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
However, for your viewing enjoyment, here is the current model of the A Class. Pretty sweet looking
Photoshop; the first post in this thread shows the W169 A Class.

I have the W245 B Class and it's a HUGE car, bigger inside than an E Class. Good car too, despite the weight and huge frontal area, it has a lifetime (55,000 mile) average of 32.3 MPG US.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I was impressed with the A class which was rented in Germany.
It shifted better than my fancy TT. An absolute pleasure in every which way and I always had hoped that it would be brought over to the states.

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
I would love to see the forfour and a roadster offered by smart. A roadster with a Tesla electric or hybrid or turbo gas or supercharged diesel option would be sweet!!

Ya can't kill the dream!!

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,084 Posts
I'd have to agree--the A-Klasse is a bit too premium of a price...
Not that the A-class will ever be the basis for a new smart forfour/five, but if it were, I'm sure all the premium features would be stripped out or reserved for BRABUS editions and we would be left with something more comparable to the fortwo's inside with a reduced price.

I've also noticed how "economy" cars have gotten more expensive. I priced out a Fit and Fiesta 5-door that I would like and they were $20K sticker. IMO, the new Focus 5-door will probably go to $25K optioned out. Economy car isn't what it used to be...

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
Not that the A-class will ever be the basis for a new smart forfour/five, but if it were, I'm sure all the premium features would be stripped out or reserved for BRABUS editions and we would be left with something more comparable to the fortwo's inside with a reduced price.

I've also noticed how "economy" cars have gotten more expensive. I priced out a Fit and Fiesta 5-door that I would like and they were $20K sticker. IMO, the new Focus 5-door will probably go to $25K optioned out. Economy car isn't what it used to be...
You were looking at loaded versions of the two cars.:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts