Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a telephone call from the North American representative for Smart informing me that my Passion cabriolet is 1 of 74 cars being recalled because of a paint defect in connection with the Silver Tridion Cell. According to the rep, Smart has arranged a rental car with Avis and they are going to pick-up my car and drop-off the rental at the same time. Apparently, this defect may cause the windshield to separate from the cell. Instructions from Germany are still forthcoming, so they anticipate returning the car by the end of September. Has anyone else received this news?

·
Registered
555 Posts
I just received a telephone call from the North American representative for Smart informing me that my Passion cabriolet is 1 of 74 cars being recalled because of a paint defect in connection with the Silver Tridion Cell. According to the rep, Smart has arranged a rental car with Avis and they are going to pick-up my car and drop-off the rental at the same time. Apparently, this defect may cause the windshield to separate from the cell. Instructions from Germany are still forthcoming, so they anticipate returning the car by the end of September. Has anyone else received this news?
How strange! Only 74 cars? I also have a cabrio but a black tridion and I have heard nothing. When was your car delivered? I suspect they are all within the same delivery timeframe. Sorry to hear you'll be out yur smart. Good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We took delivery at the end of June. What we were told was that it affects only 74 cars and only the Silver Tridion Cell. Unfortunately, ours is one of those 74. I'm awaiting a follow-up email from Smart.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Recall Notice today

Hi
I just recvd my call about 1hr ago. I have only had my Smart two weeks. Kind of discouraging, since this is the one and only new car I have ever purchased Brand New.
The gentleman was suppose to send me and email and Link to Avis w/ more details on how to get my rental car. He stated on 43 cars affected?? Thus far, has not done so??
I have the Passion w/ the Silver Cell also.
This is really kinda a drag, hope the car doesnt come back w/ all kind of rattles and the like.
Can anyone else give us more info on this??

·
Dont Feed The Trolls ^Mod
5,933 Posts
Kinda glad I didnt get a cabrio, but now that I have said that, mine probably will fall apart on the boat.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Sounds like they are being pro-active...and the fact that many manufactures have recalls that at times involve 100,000 or more (we had a Dodge Caravan that was recalled) 74 is not a great number....I understand not being happy but it sounds like they are going beyond what is required by law.

·
Registered
74 Posts
OH NO!!!! I just got my cab (BLK/SLVR) they'll have to take it from my cold dead hands!

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

and you know that rental is going to be an american economy compact (CHEVY AVEO)...SNORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crossing my fingers, how many cabs do you think they send a month to the States?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Just a thought here, but did anyone call their dealer to see if this was on the up and up? I hate to be suspicious of everything, but 74 cars??????? Out of all of the ones being delivered. I know, it could be a batch problem, but it might do well to call and verify. JMO
Russ

·
Registered
334 Posts
What was the Build Date on your recalled vehicles? Sounds like that either one of the robots had a bad day or there was a bad batch of paint. I wouldn't worry about any that haven't been delivered they _should_ hold them back until they are fixed.

Nice of them to proactively call though, Ford had to be forced to recall our Exploder for its rear glass (which they screwed up - but I guess its better to be slightly misaligned than to have it fall off). Also, my neighbor's Tundra wasn't recalled for grossly undersized brakes but they did proactively offer him an "upgrade" to fix the "non" issue.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The affected cars are a smaller sub-set ... cabs with silver tridion. The two confirmed recalls listed above have deliveries from end of June to middle of July.
Thanks NCC - feel better already.

BTW - I worked on Enterprise as P.A. for a season. Not the best Trek but Best job ever.

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
Just a thought here, but did anyone call their dealer to see if this was on the up and up? I hate to be suspicious of everything, but 74 cars??????? Out of all of the ones being delivered. I know, it could be a batch problem, but it might do well to call and verify. JMO

my thoughts exactly! Check the dealer as I would suspect he would have to handle this "recall"?!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Russ
I wondered the same thing! Sounds fishy that they would just send a loaner to you and take your car, I never heard of such a thing. I would think they would have you come to your dealer and make arrangements there. Sounds really iffy to me and I, for one, would not give up my car without a lot of official paperwork and a call to the dealer first. Ooohhhh!!!

·
Registered
506 Posts
A trip to smart Center Portland is and all-day trek for me - I would expect a car to my door.

Sounds like really good customer service to me, and truly, proactive.

I'm pretty sure, and I can be fairly suspicious, that there will be proper identification, jmho.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
. According to the rep, Smart has arranged a rental car with Avis and they are going to pick-up my car and drop-off the rental at the same time. Apparently, this defect may cause the windshield to separate from the cell. Instructions from Germany are still forthcoming, so they anticipate returning the car by the end of September?????. Has anyone else received this news?
So they are going to have your car for 2 months?? What are they gonna do cut in in half and reassemble it.

I would ask what the repair is:eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
In response to some of the comments and recommendations here, I'm calling my dealer this morning to ascertain what they know. The Smart representative who called gave me the choice of dropping the car off at the dealer (30 miles away from my home) or them coming to get the car at my convenience which, I think, is good customer service. I agree with those here who believe that Smart is being proactive about this. According to the representative, even though they haven't yet received instructions from their headquarters in Germany on how this defect should be addressed, they wanted to alert affected customers and remove any possible risk that could accrue on account of this matter. While my wife (it's her daily driver) is not looking forward to being without her first convertible during the last days of the summer, we appreciate that Smart's relationship with us as customers continues beyond the point of sale.

·
Registered
122 Posts
In my opinion the fact that they are recalling is a good sign. Most companies would laugh at a problem in 74 cars and never do anything about it. I had a GM that was recalled, and they waited for 3 fatalities that could be directly contributed to the problem before they bothered to do a recall. Most car companies only do a recall when they are forced by the government or when the law suits are going to cost more. SMART on the other hand is doing a recall on only 74 cars, so the chances of significant liability are small, so it seems they are doing this just to be safe.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts