Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,
My Mom has a 2008 451 and she received the Recall notice for the engine compartment sound deadening material needs to be replaced. This is a free service.
My thoughts are while she has her car in there. I was thinking she should have an engine scan done to see if her car has the latest software updates.
Is there such a thing?
I have a OBD2 scanner and I haven't seen any codes for her car... but with the Mercedes dealer be able to do a software update.. let's say for the throttle response?
Her car is sluggish and seems to autoshift at a delay time.
This is after a full tune up.

Thanks for any input!

Rob

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I think that would be a good idea as long as cost isn’t prohibitive. Unfortunately, software updates often come at a price.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Oliver!
Mercedes does charge $169 to do a scan.. they said that if there was any software updates, that it would be included in that price.
I'm curious if they can adjust the throttle response?
Seems like some folks on here have talked about having it adjusted for better response.. something like that.

Rob

·
Registered
935 Posts
There is a device that smartmadness sells that improves throttle response.
I don't think MB software updates will help with anything like better throttle response.
Good Luck

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
MB sets the throttle response to cover a wide range of driving a d to get the best fuel economy for cars under a wide range of parameters.Since the car is sold all over the world, it is a massive compromise due to what fuel is available, terrain, driving styles, etc. Adding a 'pedal remapping' device or a software adjustment makes a lot of sense to get the best performance out of your car. There are devices such as the 'Go Pedal' or "sprint booster" that will do just that. Some of the aftermarket cruise controls also have that capability. I doubt MB will do much except install the factory software.

Since the recall is mostly a mechanical repair, I don't think they would be connecting the computer up to check anything on the software side so I would guess it would be an additional charge. BUT, as long as you are there, it might be worth it. Especially if you live a distance away.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you both very much!
I suppose I should just have it done at Mercedes so she will have peace of mind.

Cheers!
Rob

·
Registered
333 Posts
The dealer's computer system should have a record of what updates if any have been applied to your vehicle. This data is stored on the MB mothership so any dealer can access it. No need to pay for them to hookup, just inquire... I gave them my VIN and they told me mine was current.

~toaster

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most searches for fortwo cabrolet 2008 from dealers are not taking responsibility to remedy the fire recall when service centers are not a long distance away ? Why is that?

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
recall was 2-3 years ago. Most of the time there is a time limit as to when they can get paid for the recall labor.

·
Super Moderator
1,606 Posts
I thought there was no time limit to safety recalls. Mercedes has been doing a recall on the 1980's era SL's for over twenty years.

Len

·
Super Moderator
29,027 Posts
Here's the recall info - don't see an expiration date.....

NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V273000

Manufacturer Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Components ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING

Potential Number of Units Affected 42,781

Summary

Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC. (MBUSA) is recalling certain 2008-2009 smart fortwo cabrio and fortwo coupe vehicles. The rear insulation mat in the engine compartment may deform, deteriorate, and loosen over time, allowing the mat to contact hot exhaust system components.

Remedy

MBUSA will notify owners, and dealers will replace the rear insulation mat with an improved one, free of charge. The recall began in July 2018. Owners may contact MBUSA customer service at 1-800-367-6372. MBUSA's number for this recall is 2018060010.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
:)

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
There’s no time limit, on any auto manufactures. Recalls, or campaigns. Especially dealing with vehicle safety issues. Even if the vehicle is sold many times over. We continue to get Honda‘s air bag recalls, for serval vehicles, we sold off years ago. Honda should be sending those notices to the new owners.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The process took about an hour, but the dealer may want more time to let the adhesive cure. I had to travel an hour away to have the recall done. The dealer did not have the part in stock so the wait before making the trip was about two weeks for the part to arrive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts