Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I think I’m kinda late in this forum, hopefully someone might help me with this. I have a 451 Smart (2015), Passion. I have an issue with the AC Recirculating Button, this happened just right after a service at the MB Agency, but since I don’t use it that often… I didn’t notice soon enough. The button works (the red light), but it doesn’t do what it’s supposed to do, air from the outside keeps getting in, even with the AC OFF but recirculating button ON. What can I do? What might it be? Please, help me…

·
Registered
188 Posts
The recirc button can enact a slowdwn of outside air flow, but not eliminate it.

Per Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS), a constant throughput of fresh air is mandated in all newer US made or imported cars. There is a one-way flap valve in the rear section of the body that lets a proportionate amount of air out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand, but when I say it doesn’t work, it means that, it doesn’t work at all, nor reduces or anything. It did work before, but not anymore. I am comparing the previous experience with the current one.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Might just be corrupt software. Run back to the MB dealership, you had the car serviced at.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Sometimes the blend door or recirculate flaps get stuck. The motors that move them are not very powerful. I’ve repaired several just by popping the actuator off and exercising the flap with pliers. Once the doors are loose they worked ok.

The reasons they became stuck closed are a mystery. Possibly something sticky entered the air system (tree sap, bug goo…), but once the doors were free to rotate, I didn’t have problems with the actuators again. I didn’t need to replace the actuator motors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts