Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Radio 9 in our '09 is doing the "phone/navi" thing - where it switches between regular operation and silence with "phone/navi" on the display.

It's not proximity to a cellphone that's causing this, and a reboot (pull the fuse) didn't help.

It's always had crappy reception on AM anyway, so I'm not going to attempt to diagnose the problem.

Is the ForTwo similar enough to other cars that a radio install by a radio shop should go OK, or is there something the shop needs to know that perhaps most don't?

Has anyone used Stereotomy in Issaquah for a radio swap in the smart? I'm thinking I probably want to avoid Best Buy or Car Toys (but maybe they're competent enough?).

Is there anything to be on the look out for when choosing a replacement? We don't need anything fancy (AM/FM/CD/AUX) although adding Bluetooth capability for phone calls (maybe music) would be nice - not sure how bad the ambient noise would be at freeway speeds though.

One more random thought - what are the slots for on either side of the interior light housing - cooling for the bulbs, or a grill for Bluetooth microphones?

Thanks ... Mike

·
Registered
536 Posts
Imagining a shop install makes my stomach turn.

If all you are changing out is the head unit, It takes about 5 minutes. Youtube is your friend. I'd offer to do it for you, but I'm way down in Orting, and I don't think it's worth the drive.

If you go to a shop, tell them about the screw under the button panel. They shouldn't destroy your car too much then.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
The Car Toys just down the street in Tukwila from where the old smartcenter Seattle was........is real familiar with smarts. They did the install on my Area 451 cruise control, and it went perfectly. I've never had a single problem with it. I can't speak specifically about their radio install skills, but I don't see why it wouldn't go just as smoothly. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately doing it myself is not really an option.

The video jwight linked shows the radio already removed from the dash (which is my biggest fear point). I know thieves can do it in a jiffy, but I'd be afraid I'd break something (and they don't care if they break something). But I'll check around for some other videos, maybe I can overcome my fear of breaking stuff.

The main reason I like factory radios is no-one wants to steal them :-D

·
Registered
536 Posts
Pre-2011s are really easy: Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia (Requires a subscription if you don't already have one - well worth the money, IMHO) :)
I just did my springs trying to follow Evilution's instructions. I will not be renewing my subscription.

On the stereo install, The only tricky part is that you have to pull the button bar straight off the dash. It's only clipped on. If it's flexing, you are pulling on the wrong spot. Pull over the clips. they are a little inboard. Once that is off, and hanging by it's wires, you can see the torx screw (t25) that holds the bottom of the bezel in place. Take that screw out, and it's all brute force from there.

The 09 is much easier than the later models. You are going to remove that entire bezel (up to and around the vents.)

Once that is out of the way, there are 4 recessed screws on the sides.

The metra adapter actually works for the 09's.

You need the Metra wiring adapter, Installation kit (dash trim), antenna adapter, and your new head unit. If you are a complete novice, I strongly recommend getting it all from smart madness. Call them. They will make sure you get everything you are going to need.

It's easy to get intimidated, but you can install it yourself. It's really a rewarding experience. My smart has 1100watts and 12 speakers, and I did it all myself. I'm not a big car audio guy, and I don't work in electronics. I'm not a mechanic either, and I just installed my own lowering springs. Was it easy? Hell no, but anyone can do this stuff. Installing a head unit is a great project to start you out. If you get stuck, Drive it down to Orting, Wa the following Saturday, and I'll finish it up in my garage for free. Or just bring everything next Saturday. It's really not a bother.

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
I just did my springs trying to follow Evilution's instructions. I will not be renewing my subscription.
I hope you left some feedback for Kane. If there's a problem with the instructions on the site I'm sure he'd appreciate knowing about it. :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts