Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a tough day today, split the reservoir on the land rover out on the trails, and when I switched to the Smart, I got the red Battery light on the dash. Driving home I saw voltages around 12.2-11.9 volts. I am guessing the battery is shot as it is an original battery (I believe) and it is at least 7 years old. I think I got my money's worth from it...

A little background... Got this car 4 or 5 months ago and the battery was in bad shape (charge wise) when I picked it up. I probably should have replaced it but it seemed to be working OK at the time. (2008 Passion) The other option is the alternator may have taken a dump... I think I will try a battery first.

I was able to start the car, and drove 12 miles with headlights on and battery voltage stayed pretty constant at 12.2 volts. I know it should be up around 14 from past experience and I am guessing a bad battery is dragging the voltage down. We shall see what happens when I replace the battery. Stay tuned...

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,186 Posts
Could be, but for most vehicles (not necessarily true for smart) the red light typically comes on when the battery voltage is greater than the alternator output voltage. Easy enough to get the battery and alternator tested.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,782 Posts
charged the batt and it acts OK, Guess I am looking for an alternator.
What smark said...

SEVEN year old battery with unknown history is probably NOT O.K. and may leave you stranded this winter...

·
Super Moderator
29,026 Posts
Our 2011 battery is 5 years old and still showing 12.7 volts or so at rest, over 14 volts when the car is running - but it will be replaced before the cold weather hits. :)

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What smark said...

SEVEN year old battery with unknown history is probably NOT O.K. and may leave you stranded this winter...
I did not mean I wasn't going to replace the battery, just that it was not the cause of the indicator light staying on. I am rather surprised that the battery checks out OK, but not worth the risk of leaving it in over the winter months.

and an uncharged battery will ALWAYS fail a load test.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Replacement alternator is on it's way. Anyone put one in themselves yet? just wondering if I have to remove the motor mount to get to a bolt or not. I assume it gets easier from underneath with the wheel and plastic panel removed... Have not gotten under there yet.

·
Super Moderator
1,604 Posts
jwight - is that a shot from Alldata or WIS? If WIS, how did you get a copy? If Alldata, it sure looks like WIS.

Len
2014 EV

·
Super Moderator
29,026 Posts
It's Alldata - I think they have a way into WIS but not for the last three model years or so. :)

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so I didn't have the "lifting Fixture" or even a driveway to work with. Took about 3 hours (mostly due to me not being able to move around much) I did have to remove the pass side motor mount, inner fender and the belt adjuster was a pain in the butt. Funny, it went back together much faster than it came apart.

Driving down the road I now read 13.9-14.1 volts on the scangauge, and No red battery light! Still have to get a new battery, but the old one is still working so far...

Just got too many things that need to be paid for first.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Ok, so I didn't have the "lifting Fixture" or even a driveway to work with. Took about 3 hours (mostly due to me not being able to move around much) I did have to remove the pass side motor mount, inner fender and the belt adjuster was a pain in the butt. Funny, it went back together much faster than it came apart.

Driving down the road I now read 13.9-14.1 volts on the scangauge, and No red battery light! Still have to get a new battery, but the old one is still working so far...

Just got too many things that need to be paid for first.
Battery voltage at rest 12.7? I wouldn't change it, but I'm cheapy....

·
Registered
28 Posts
I may be a little late on this, I have done this lots of times, Disconnect battery!, Remove rear tire, remove fender well there are 3 plastic nuts, 3 plastic rivets pull the pins first then the rivets, remove pulley cover pull upper part of the 2 large rivets then pull cover off, put a jack and support engine, loosen belt tentioner, remove engine mount for the engine and frame like on the picture you have, loosen the fuel line, remove positive wire from alt., disconnect plug from alt.,remove alt. bolts, carefully lower engine enough to remove alt. Put it all back in reverse.
You will have to move the engine around a little to line up the engine side of mount . Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
29,026 Posts
Battery voltage at rest 12.7? I wouldn't change it, but I'm cheapy....
If we lived in California I probably would let it go another year. Having to change a smart battery when it's single digit temps in the winter is no fun. Worth the money to me to have a fresh battery before the weather gets bad. :)

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
If we lived in California I probably would let it go another year. Having to change a smart battery when it's single digit temps in the winter is no fun. Worth the money to me to have a fresh battery before the weather gets bad. :)
Hmmm. When we were in the Cleveland area I was lucky to have a garage, and even though it was attached, it was still cold in there. (I didn't respond sooner because I felt like I really put my foot in my mouth on this one...)

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just to update, After 3 days of driving, I shredded the alt belt. Came out in pieces so it sat until Saturday when I could fashion a tensioner tool to help install the new belt. Voltage on the scangaugeII went up to 14.0-14.3 volts with the new belt.

Went up to the State Fair today and sat in traffic most of the time. No problems with charging, and temp got up to 207 once, but mostly stayed around 188-195 with the AC on and outside temps in the 85 range.

We were able to squeeze into a parking spot in front of a dumpster that no other cars would fit in and it was a short walk in the gate. The lot guy laughed and said they usually left that spot empty as nobody would fit there. Then he took pictures....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts