Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I don't get why they print stories like this. OK, let's tell all the half wit morons out there who would love to jack a car but don't have the brains to do it, exactly how to do it. I understand keeping the public informed, but this like giving a kid a loaded gun, then showing him a video on how to use it.

I think the news today goes a little too far covering some of this crap. Besides, what twisted researcher/scientist came up with this experiment? I'm sure they waste millions of taxpayer dollar teaching criminals how to break into your car.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I don't get why they print stories like this. OK, let's tell all the half wit morons out there who would love to jack a car but don't have the brains to do it, exactly how to do it. I understand keeping the public informed, but this like giving a kid a loaded gun, then showing him a video on how to use it.

I think the news today goes a little too far covering some of this crap. Besides, what twisted researcher/scientist came up with this experiment? I'm sure they waste millions of taxpayer dollar teaching criminals how to break into your car.

This is so very typical. The writers of the stories just want to feel important and blabber information that should be suppressed.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
As a software / database developer for a couple decades, I have to reiterate the cliche: security through obscurity is no security at all.

If we hide our heads in the sand and think if we don't show the evildoers how to break into our cars that they won't do it, we wait for the day that they figure it out first, and get the jump on us. Better to discover it and motivate the industry to improve before a rash of mysterious cases of stolen cars.

Have you ever seen underground hackers spread word on how to crack a code, defeat some measure of security? It's fast and underground... the average person doesn't even have a clue that 50,000 wannabe script kiddies got hold of a solution and started ripping people off - for profit or just for bragging rights. There are whole computer security conferences held to put the best of each side against each other just to increase security. This report could, by sparking an industry response, end up saving us insurance costs.

·
Registered
441 Posts
That link didn't work for me; here's another one: Keyless entry systems vulnerable to high-tech car thieves- Yahoo! Autos Article Page

Although it's possible to unlock the car using the equipment mentioned in the story, unless they have your key they won't be able to start the car. :)
In the paper that the OP linked.. they did start the cars using the repeater technique.

As to why print such stories.. and why I read it...
If I loose my keys I have to pay huge $$$ ... or throw away my car...
if some enterprising theives firure out how to defeat the security system.. then there is hope for people who loose their keys :):D

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Interesting read.. thanks...

but if someone wants to go to that much trouble to steal my car.. I think they can just have it :cool:
That's assuming that someone would be doing this for just one car. If someone went to the trouble of rigging this up, they could steal many more cars much faster than they could do anything with them....

That would not be good day.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Do the others promote and enable criminal activity, or do they impel the manufactures to make changes? How does freedom of speech figure into this? Did the authors first contact auto manufacturers to give them a chance to correct their systems? The only simple answer is don't own a car. At least my smart needs a physical key to turn, but not the wife's Prius - with gas prices going up it get's more valuable too :).

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Oh heck! Now the price of tinfoil is gonna go up yet again. I can barely afford enough to keep my hats looking good, let alone now I have to wrap my key fobs too!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts