Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When using internet-based remote control to turn on the pre-heater, the blower turns on but I get no heat; on the road, the heater works fine. I called the Buffalo dealer and, while they acknowledge the problem, they don't yet have a solution. Has anyone had a similar problem?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have no idea how this works. when the car is not charging, how is it communicating to the internet?

Also I have the base system, I usually have the fan in the off position, I don't have any option to set the temperature from my phone.

haven't really had a need for it in CA, though. it's always nice weather.

·
Registered
646 Posts
There is another very long thread about this, I think the answer was the dealer had to update the car's software.
Putty, you need to have the Smart software app installed on your phone

·
Registered
29 Posts
There is another very long thread about this, I think the answer was the dealer had to update the car's software.
Putty, you need to have the Smart software app installed on your phone
I have the app installed, it's not clear how it can control the temperature when I have a manual thermostat (base model). Unless I leave the fan and it can turn it on with just the preset speed and temperature setting.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yep, that is how you do it. Activate Climate Control and set a Departure time, it will go to the settings you have on the dash.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yep, that is how you do it. Activate Climate Control and set a Departure time, it will go to the settings you have on the dash.
thanks, trooplewis. One thing I hadn't anticipated with electric is just how fast the heater warms up compared to an ICE. It almost makes fussing with the pre condition feature unnecessary. With the electric seat and heather, I warm up twice as fast as I do in my ICE car. The smaller cabin space likely helps, too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have sat in the car while the remote is engaged. Moving the fan speed control made no difference to the heater (cold) output.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
This may be stating the obvious? But it isn't specifically stated?

Your Electric Drive is Plugged in when you are using the remote heat function?

IF so, are you plugged in to 110V or 240V? (it could make a difference)

·
Registered
527 Posts
The climate control and other remote control capabilities are send/received over the cellular network. The manual mentions this. The dealer sells you the car with a minimum number of years of service, which may be extended (I am not aware if this offering has been priced).

As for the 110, I exclusively charge on 110 and am able to get climate control working by using the vh.smart web site, go to functions / climate control and click "deactivate" followed by "use climate control now". I do that about 20 minutes before I leave, assuming it takes 5 minutes for the car to receive the instruction, and 15 minutes to pre-heat.

As others have mentioned on the big thread on this topic, the fan controls have no effect on the pre-conditioning.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've found, after much trial and error, that the pre-conditioning usually works when setting it through the steering stalk. Just make sure that after you push the button, it shows the departure time that you've set and "a/c on".

Sometimes, when looking at the display, it is not obvious which will be selected when you push the selection button.

Fan speed and temp settings on the dash are a don't care.

approximately 30 minutes prior to departure time, it turns on the fan, effectively at position 2 speed, and then attempts to get the cabin temperature to be in the (forgive me if I don't remember the specific range) 62F to 72F range. (Remember that the PTS heater, when it uses the HV battery can draw 5kW, but when it is plugged into the wall, it can only draw what you can get out of the wall which is about 1.4kW at 120VAC assuming the EVSE is set for 12A, or twice that with 240VAC).

there are times when it doesn't seem to work when I expect it to, but I'm starting to think that "operator" error (due to the controls not being totally clear) might be a part (maybe a significant part) of the issue.

I haven't had time to get the BMS update, so mine is the older version. I'll have to wait until the warmer weather before I have enough range to get to the dealer and then home in the same day when I take it in for the update.

But, generally, even if pre-conditioning doesn't work, if I want to give up some of the range of the battery for the day, cabin is comfortable within 1-2 blocks of my house if I turn it on when I pull out of the garage.

Unfortunately, with a 44 mile round trip commute, when temps are below 20F, I have to modulate my speed and use of heat to maintain the range that I need to get home with around 20% SOC left. I've managed to get home with 20% SOC left on a 5F day by limiting my speed to 50mph and keeping the heat mostly off.

I'm working on decreasing my range anxiety a bit, and letting the SOC drop as low as 10%, which on 5F days means 4-5 miles range left on getting home. This gives me a little more heat and comfort in the cabin, but raises my mental anxiety while watching the dash and adding the miles driven with the range left, to keep the total around 49 miles.

It rose above freezing today and I got to use the heat all the time to and from work, plus drive at 65mph on the highway (pretty much like a "normal" car), and get home with a little less than 30% SOC.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I stand corrected on the dash settings, thanks. Living in San Diego I have not used it enough to pay much attention to it...

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
When using internet-based remote control to turn on the pre-heater, the blower turns on but I get no heat;
One thing to note: The car in C&D mode will only work if the windows are up, the hatch and doors are closed, and the temperature inside the cabin is below ~63°F or above ~75°F (for AC). Also, as noted, lever settings have no effect when C&D is activated.

It almost makes fussing with the pre condition feature unnecessary.
C&D isn't really about providing faster comfort. It's about using current from the wall instead of charge from the battery. Bringing the car to a comfortable temperature takes more power than sustaining it.

IF so, are you plugged in to 110V or 240V? (it could make a difference)
The only difference is how/if the car can continue to charge while C&D is activated. Any current not used by C&D can be used to continue to charge the car. On a mode 1 EVSE, most/all of it will be used for C&D. On a mode 2 charger, good chance you can do both at once if needed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have tried both level 1 and level 2 charging and the pre-conditioning with level 2 is much more effective. The fan speed setting in the car has no affect, nor does the temperature setting. The only thing that does have an effect is the selection of where the heat / cool air will go as this is strictly mechanical. The heating is set to 17 Celsius and the cooling to 24 Celsius. The pre-conditioning starts 30 minutes prior to departure time. For best results set the departure time 10 minutes in advance of the actual time you wish to leave. Note that every time you select "Charge Now", the pre-conditioning will be set to off and you will need to set it back on by either "Charge and Depart" or via the web site. Note that communication between the web site and the car is via cellular communications.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences here - I would be more lost and frustrated without your research, trial and error!

How difficult, honestly, would it be to place activation temperature information in the app or car?

The whole timed / instant confusion could easily be re-worded to make more sense.

·
Registered
527 Posts
How difficult, honestly, would it be to place activation temperature information in the app or car?
The whole timed / instant confusion could easily be re-worded to make more sense.
The Smart ED has an abysmal user interface when it comes to the charging and pre-heating controls. The actual underlying system is very effective, and in my experience worked very well in the two winters when I used pre-conditioning.

The app is a tragic example of amateur programming to be sure. Thankfully a fellow forum member has made a really nice Android app that I use instead.

I just "live with" the poor user interface and enjoy the other great aspects of the car, like the way it drives, and how trouble free it has been.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts