Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Cabriolet. It just came back from the shop having the secondary air injection worked on and getting smogged. That shouldn't create this problem, but....

My key remote will not work. The buttons do nothing. I've had the problem before where you can't lock it because of a bad actuator. I know if a door (or tailgate) is not fully closed, it won't lock. But here, I get nothing. Not the clicks of the actuators when you try locking. No beeps, no nothing. Unlocking results in the same thing - nothing. And, pressing the panic button does nothing either. No sound, no lights, no nothing.

I know, the easy answer is that the battery in the fob is dead. It's not. I've tested the voltage. I've replaced the battery. I've tried my spare key fob. Nothing. It's almost like the signal receiver in the car is disconnected/dead. I know, that sounds odd, but crazier things have happened.

Does anyone out there have a clue as to what this could be?

Thanks
Bill

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,761 Posts
Captain obvious here gotta ask, and you have only one key?

Bill sez, "I've tried my spare key fob."

OOPS, sorry 'bout the obvious . . .

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Maybe try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to reset the SAM and see if that works. Since BOTH of your key fobs no longer work I agree that it is probably a problem with the SAM unit. DCO

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had that happen. If they messed with the ecu at all, they may not have programmed your key back into it. You'll probably have to have them plug into the ecu and get it to recognize your key fobs again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts