Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it has been covered here in many threads. I have searched and read them all but I still can't find a remote start/alarm system for my 2011 Fortwo Passion. I know it has to have the immobilizer bypass and use an extra key to work. Most auto sources that carry parts or bells and whistles for a Smart car have already removed Smart from their lists. I have installed several remote start systems in other cars. I know how difficult it is to install. But I still want to install it myself. So if any of you have remote start please list the brand name and model number for me so that I can track a system down. As time goes by it's going to get even harder finding accessories for our little cars. Thank you in advance. DCO

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I find it hard to believe that nobody has a Fortwo with a remote start aftermarket system installed in it. I try to help everybody on this forum by answering questions. Why can't someone help me out with this when I genuinely need some help on this?

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
DCO, you should realize that a number of people on here do most of the postings, and they have other things going on in their lives. Smart cars are a limited item and comparatively not many people have them, and even less work on them unless something is wrong with them. Add that to the limited amount of items available for aftermarket add-ons and it can take a bit of time to find that person who is familiar with what you want to do. Plus being a weekend, people get busy so answers can take even longer.

I don't have any experience with a remote starter or add-on alarm system especially on a smart, so I can't help. some of the old timers that may have done this have moved on since MB made the decision to abandon the ICE models and gone to electric . Not much need for a remote starter on one of those I guess.

With your knowledge, I think you will have it figured out. sorry I can't help

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
I find it hard to believe that nobody has a Fortwo with a remote start aftermarket system installed in it. I try to help everybody on this forum by answering questions. Why can't someone help me out with this when I genuinely need some help on this?
I didn't have a remote start and was never interested in any aftermarket alarm/remote start product after dealing with the issues I had with aftermarket alarm on a '92 190E:

They tend to drain the battery much quicker than OE products.

Sometimes hard to adjust just right, (ie. they can false if too sensitive).

They tend to break down.

They are blamed even when they aren't the problem.

I only like Lo Jack beyond the OE option, or if the car was already hacked with one I leave it...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Lonnie, ask your question to a broader audience. You’ve limited to those with experience/that have remote start. Why not include those who don’t?

While alarm related specifically to smart may be limited/dwindling, keep in mind it shares blood with MB, using the same Star system in fact. I’m guessing a company like Directed Electronics (used to be DEI) and David Levy Corporation (aka Black Widow) have something for it...

https://www.directed.com/

http://dlcparts.com/black-widow-security-systems-c-288.html?osCsid=3b9879d954a3b8f7431461abe23005bd

My Black Widow X5 was blamed, removed, and replaced by a basic Avital, only for the the used to be alarm installer now SA finding that disconnecting and reconnecting the battery reactivated the remote door lock/unlock, my complaint...

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts