Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like having my remote starter here in the north east. Do you suppose I could have one installed in my fortwo?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Most likely it will not start unless it's in Park or Neutral just like a automatic so I think it will be no problem having a remote starter. Also the alarm system and key chip if it has one may be a issue.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Maybe or maybe not. I think the Park feature on this car may be the same as putting the car in reverse on a manual transmission. The previous shifter definately was.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I highly doubt we get a remote start as a legit option or a hack

While the getrag shifter showes a P position--- it is really reverse and you must shift to neutral to start the Lil bugger AFAIK

·
Registered
181 Posts
I like having my remote starter here in the north east. Do you suppose I could have one installed in my fortwo?
Yup yup, nothing like a warm car on these cold noreaster days, heated seats are only part of the solution.

(hawking this thread with attention)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I have to say that I've thought about doing this for "forfiveone" as living in Canada its darn cold, but I was very surprised in that with the heated seats and the car heater I've never felt that cold for very long. I would say at worst you will be cold for 1 minute, but the heated seats warm up nice and quick and the heater in the car does the same.

But if you do want to get this done the European models have an option for a remote start and a temperature module that will keep the car at a certain temperature automatically.

I don't know how easy it will to get this on a North American smart as the ignition kill system might just not allow the car to start.

If you really looking for one, best contact someone in Europe that can source the part and instructions on installing if at all possible.

I would recommend Paul from WellSmart http://shop.wellsmart.co.uk as he has a very good selection of parts and has even sourced some special items for me that weren't on his site.

Another vendor I've used is SPD, http://www.smart-parts-direct.com but in my personal dealing with SPD I found them to not understand the new 451 very well, but after some hand holding I was able to get the support I needed from them.

I deal with a few people in Germany, but due to language barrier I wouldn't recommend trying it out for something like this as you'll probably need a lot of technical support. If you are fluent in German let me know and I'll send my contacts your way.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
the german site advertises an auxilery heating system heating 999 euros forthe base unit 250 for a timer it is a heater for the coolant not remote start
hope that helps
karl

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The remote start is for the two inches of ice on the windshield and six inches of snow. If I was trying to be cool, I'm not sure I would be getting a smart:p
The amount of fuel that is used for 5 minutes of idle is minimal but well worth it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's not even winter yet. Today's forcast for Rochester:

Today
Snow, High 32°
**HEAVY SNOW WARNING IN EFFECT FOR WYOMING, LIVINGSTON, ONTARIO, AND YATES COUNTIES FROM 7AM THROUGH 7PM** **SNOW ADVISORY IN EFFECT FOR GENESEE, ORLEANS, MONROE, AND WAYNE COUNTIES FROM 7AM THROUGH 7PM**Steady snow develops during the morning. 3-6" of snow possible north of the thruway, as much as 6-10" possible south of the thruway.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
The remote start is for the two inches of ice on the windshield and six inches of snow. If I was trying to be cool, I'm not sure I would be getting a smart:p
The amount of fuel that is used for 5 minutes of idle is minimal but well worth it.
some people run the AC in southern climes
i on the other hand just buried my plow truck and will have to dig it out later this morning
karl

·
Registered
24 Posts
New post on an old thread:

Anyone have luck installing a remote start system in their smart? I have a Viper remote start system in my (now) old Daewoo and would love to transfer it over. Think it'll work?

·
Super Moderator
28,551 Posts
For the smart to start, the key must be in the ignition to communicate with the car's computer. Don't see any advantage to remote start with that being the case, assuming it could be started remotely even with the key in the ignition. :)

PS - unless you consider sending someone else out with the key to start it as "remote start."

·
Registered
23 Posts
Remote start

Just received my 08 Smart and found there is a chip in the key which is similar in appearance to what is inside some other Daimler Chrysler keys we have previously done remote starts with. There is one option as of now which we'll try by next week which will need the second key to operate. More details to come...

Total Auto Protection
305-232-0100
Miami, FL

1 - 20 of 36 Posts