Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wow, what a waste of gas having a car idle outside so you make sure your rear is warm when you get in.
if you ever lived in a region that has more than one season, you would understand the need for this,

Just like the use of heated seats.
and oh MY how much gas can you actually spend by letting the car idle for 10min? hmmmm
it's not like the smart is a gas guzzler...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will be installing a remote start/alarm for my neighbor that just got his '09 Smart. I have over 10 years experience in the mobile electronics business. My plan is to not sacrifice a full key for the chip bypass. I will remove the circuit board from inside the key fob, and use the actual transponder chip in the bypass unit. That way more keys won't have to be purchased. His dealer told him $300 for two new keys, ordered only in pairs. The new remote controls (alarm) will operate the locks as well as the glass pop. The dealer also told him that an aftermarket alarm or remote start would void his warranty. This is completely un-true. Refer to the Magnus-Moss Warranty act. The dealer can only void the waranty if an un-qualified person does the install or the dealer offers the exact same unit for free and you decide to have it done somewhere else. I will post again after the install and say how it went. I do not anticipate any problems.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,186 Posts
kcarmax,

If you remove the circuit board from a key and install it in the bypass unit, would that allow the car to be started by a thief since the right signal is always present? It seems like that permanently defeats the whole "key-encoding" security feature?
I want to get a remote start system, and the security issue isn't a show-stopper for me, but I'd just like to know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
remote start success

I've posted on other links, then came across this old one. Its funny how people give reasons why or why not to have it. The original post just wanted to get done.

We have completed 3 remote start systems in the 2008 Fortwos and have not had any issues. It does not matter which alarm system you choose, it does matter who is doing the install. I have over 20 years in the alarm/start business and figuring out the system is a fun challenge.

We are located in South Florida, so yes we use if for our AC's on hot days or just start it for fun.

Any questions, we are at

Thanks!
Hope this info puts the theory to rest.
Jeff

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have also done smart car remote starts (3) including my own passion coupe. i was able to order just the key guts so i could bypass the factory immoblizer. by the way the immoblizer still works when the aftermarket alarm is armed. the factory immoblizer does not allow the car to be started until the car senses the chip that is in the key. the aftermarket alarm rebroadcasts the chips frequency until remote start is activated. the key guts are hidden in a black box that a "reputable shop" will hide very well and even if its found the guts cannot start the car alone the actual key must be used to drive the car. there is a lot of bad information floating out there so check with a trustworthy shop or website for good info regarding remote starts and security or audio for that matter thanx for listening Postman

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey, is installing one of these difficult? It sounds like something I should have done at a shop or something. I really can't live through the winter without it... especially since I got the convertible. Ugh.

·
Registered
245 Posts
remote starter

I have installed 5 or 6 Bulldog Security remote starters over the last 5 years. You can install your own remote start if you have alot of patience, and some electrical skill. I just finished installing a Bulldog security remote starter with keyless entry in my 2009 Pure Coupe, that I bought at my local Meijers. I also had to buy their 791 Bypass module. The cost was about 90.00 I contacted bulldog and got the wiring diagram from the and it went pretty smooth, It is just hard to get to some of the wires to make connections. For bypassing the Transponder in the key, I took the guts out of the key, you don't need the battery, and put it in the bypass module box and now I have to start the car with the remote starter. I just can't start it with the key since I removed the guts. No big deal to me since I have the new remote with me anyways.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi noodle9, yep I'm over here too.
Doing almost the exact same thing but a question in the back of my mind.
Under normal operation, you put the key in the ignition and turn it on.
But if you turn start too fast, there is a delay from the car booting up which delays the actual start sequence.
Almost like the ignition must be on for a second first (for the boot up) then trigger the starter.
Does there seem to be a concern with this sequence for the remote-start-unit to work properly?
Also, there seems to be 2 ignition wires, Red/Black & Red/Blue.
Is one of these just carrying accessory stuff like radio, heater, etc. and the other just involved with the engine's ignition system? If so, which is which?
And since you have done this more than once, which wire is the NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH which is a required connection to the start-module.(just grounding the lead is not a spec. install):D

·
Registered
110 Posts
To answer jsenka
The hidden box is not always active. Only the remote-start-module activates it at the proper time. WHICH POSES ANOTHER QUESTION.... Does the transponder box have to stay energized the entire time the car is on OR is it only needed for the first 10-20 seconds after initially starting????????

·
Registered
245 Posts
the transponder module is only energized for the time that the starter is cranking. After that it is not needed for the car to run.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi noodle9, yep I'm over here too.
Doing almost the exact same thing but a question in the back of my mind.
Under normal operation, you put the key in the ignition and turn it on.
But if you turn start too fast, there is a delay from the car booting up which delays the actual start sequence.
Almost like the ignition must be on for a second first (for the boot up) then trigger the starter.
Does there seem to be a concern with this sequence for the remote-start-unit to work properly?
Also, there seems to be 2 ignition wires, Red/Black & Red/Blue.
Is one of these just carrying accessory stuff like radio, heater, etc. and the other just involved with the engine's ignition system? If so, which is which?
And since you have done this more than once, which wire is the NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH which is a required connection to the start-module.(just grounding the lead is not a spec. install):D

·
Registered
245 Posts
MECPofPA,
Ignition 1 wire, which is a white wire on the Bulldog unit connects to the Red/Black wire and Ignition 2, the White/Red wire on the unit connects to the Red/Blue wire. Don't worry about the neutral safety switch. The Remote starter will work fine. My remote starter has been working perfectly since I installed it. I use it for every start, because my key has no guts in it. The other key is in the house for my wife or daughter to take it whenever they want to. My daughter has it at a cleanup party right now at College. She took it because it was warm when I got home. She called and said that her friends were staring at it when she drove into the parking lot.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts