Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to remove my cradle but it seems like it's clipped in for life, and I don't want to damage the clips. Anyone her ever get it off. Sorry 5 speed I did a search and couldn't find it. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I seems the plastic "sticks" a bit. I used channel lock type pliers with vinyl caps over the jaws and applied gentle pressure and twisted in counter-clockwise direction.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I just cannot believe the numbers of people I am witnessing complaining about this phone cradle. It's really unbelievable to me. And it has nothing to do with the fact that I "sell" cars and everything to do with genuinely being surprised about it. It holds the phone, no suction cups, no vents to block and/or damage, nothing to fall off the dashboard, no wires to tangle all over the interior... what's not to like about the cradle? :shrug:

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
... what's not to like about the cradle?

OK, let's count the ways…

1. It won't hold big phones.
2. It's ugly.
3. It's hard to remove.
4. It looks like an afterthought.
5. It's overpriced.
6. It looks flimsy.
7. The same engineer could've spent less time designing one very basic, non-technical slot/cubby to simply store a phone while driving.
8. It reminds me how bad the CrossConnect app is, and how I can't make any calls with my iPhone because of the horrible paired sound quality.

Why give us cradle fluff when the more-desirable basics haven't yet been addressed?

That's about it!

Maybe others can add to the too-tempting-not-to-answer-what's-not-to-like-about-the-cradle question. ;)

:shrug:

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
It's useful. :shrug:

It's convenient. :shrug:

It will hold big phones, works for Galaxy Notes and iPhone 6's. :shrug:

OK, let's count the ways…

1. It won't hold big phones.
2. It's ugly.
3. It's hard to remove.
4. It looks like an afterthought.
5. It's overpriced.
6. It looks flimsy.
7. The same engineer could've spent less time designing one very basic, non-technical slot/cubby to simply store a phone while driving.
8. It reminds me how bad the CrossConnect app is, and how I can't make any calls with my iPhone because of the horrible paired sound quality.

Why give us cradle fluff when the more-desirable basics haven't yet been addressed?

That's about it!

Maybe others can add to the too-tempting-not-to-answer-what's-not-to-like-about-the-cradle question. ;)

:shrug:

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I think some people are more attached to their phones. I use my phone to text, call and sometimes search internet. I prefer to use laptop for internet. I don't play games, have music on the phone or use my phone while driving. I rarely use GPS driving assistance. I memorize the route before and just drive. I don't like installing and removing the phone all the time. My wife does in her Jeep. My phone stays in my pocket until I need it. I listen predominantly to my iPod, sometimes radio. All I need is volume and next song controls, 4 speakers plus a sub woofer. I don't have a pin out for the stock radio. If I used it and added an amp, I wouldn't have fade or pre-outs for the sub. I set the equalizer once and forget about it. Ideally for me the radio could be about 1" by 2". A USB input and a large volume knob and I'd be thrilled. As a matter of fact that is pretty much how my hot rod is set up. Everything else is hidden. I did buy the Chinese radio that fits in the OEM housing. It should be here tomorrow. I plan on installing Torgue pro (I already have a subscription.) I'll monitor boost pressure and several other engine functions on the display while listening to my iPod. I also didn't like the app when my wife drove my smart and I went to use my phone the app was running and killing my battery. I say when and which apps open, not my car.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't have a smart phone, so the phone holder was truly useless. Came off as soon as I got my new Prime home. My phone makes calls and takes calls like a real phone. Really love the car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I want to remove my cradle but it seems like it's clipped in for life, and I don't want to damage the clips. Anyone her ever get it off. Sorry 5 speed I did a search and couldn't find it. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I got the same issue, for some reason the clips stick to the receptacle. This is how I got it off, I parked the car outside (5 to 6 hours) with the windows closed. The idea is to let the sun warm up the interior so the clips on the cradle loosen up. Then just twists it off.
Give it a try!

Alby

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looks to me that the 2 lower side arms in not opened all the way. But, hey if you do not like it or need it take it off.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts