Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the dealer says my smart has been limping around for a while with an apparent burnt valve in the number one cylinder. I won't spend the ridiculous amount they want to charge to fix it. I purchased a new head sourced off a cabriolet with low miles and had it gone over and milled by a very good shop in my area.

My question is, does anyone have the remove and replace cylinder head procedures for the 451. I downloaded a lot of the procedures when I had access to the manual but never anticipated going this deep into the engine.

I can do the work without them but it would be a lot better to go by the book.

Thanks,

Troy

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
I think smartcar111 has access as well, though I havne't seen Brett on here lately come to think of it.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The 25 words or less version is that the engine cradle must be lowered or removed in order to remove the engine timing cover and timing chain to allow the cylinder head to be removed. Okay, that was more than 25. In any event, the procedure is quite involved and too much so to type it all out here. I strongly suggest that if you chose to perform such an complex repair yourself you should purchase a subscription to repair info from ALLDATA for your specific vehicle. The repair info they have is exactly the same as the oe info, so far as it goes, including torque specs.

ALLDATAdiy.com Leading Source of Factory Automotive Repair Information

·
Registered
912 Posts
All work was completed after getting the Alldata access. Tore down and reassembled over the course of week in the evenings after work.

Car is running great again with mileage consistantly back above 40 mpg rather than low to mid 30's. :)
Good job - and for a first-timer, getting that done in a week of evenings is worth a round of congratulations!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Learned a lot about the car and of course it would be a much much faster process if I needed to repeat it.... lord forbid. lol

Oh yeah one more tidbit. Don't forget to tighten the ground strap on the front of the timing cover. After completing everything I started it and it fired right up. Drove it down the road and it sputtered and quit. After some head scratching and rechecking my work I found I had hand tightened the ground strap but forgot to go back and wrench tighten it.

I had a moment of dread that is now a distant memory.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Ktroyh, would you be so kind as to let viewers know approximately how much you had wrapped up in your used cylinder head purchase and the amount of money to recondition the head ???
Seems to be a ongoing problem for the Mitsu 3 banger... From your info viewers can get a feel for how much money plus labor would be involved to rectify this problem...:wink:

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
A picture of the burnt valve and seat would be interesting to see.

As for the OP's question, someone else on here mentioned that lowering the engine cradle and removing the rt. plastic wheel well liner gives adequate clearance to remove the timing chain and cover. I think I would go ahead and remove the rear panels as well, just to have as much access as possible.
For me it is a moot point. I don't have garage space or the drive to undertake a project of this scope. I admire and appreciate those of you who can and do.
I do enjoy looking at the photo's of your endeavors, so thank you very much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2009 Passion had the no. 2 cylinder showing no compression at 81,500 miles. Not wanting to invest any time or money (dealer wanted $7,200) in replacing the head, I got rid of the car. It was fun while it lasted.

·
Registered
271 Posts
call smart USA and see what they can tell you reguarding your problems. Hope they are able to give you some good information.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts