Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever removed the outer door panels? Is it very difficult? I want to replace the terrible factory speakers with new ones and I understand you must do it from the outside. I am very handy and have put in many stereos, but this body skin panel thing is all new to me.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Has anyone ever removed the outer door panels? Is it very difficult? I want to replace the terrible factory speakers with new ones and I understand you must do it from the outside. I am very handy and have put in many stereos, but this body skin panel thing is all new to me.
Removing the door panels is easier than putting them back on. It is a little tricking to get them back on. This should help you some Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks a bit much for me. I think I am going to have to have the dealer do it. Or maybe some local enthusiast would like to help one saturday. I supply the beverages. :D

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
You should be able to find someone there in Charlotte to help. I've found it "MUCH" easier to put the panels back on with 2 people versus 1.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
I went ahead and removed the mirrors when I pulled the panels off my cars. I had a heck of a time getting everything to line up in the slots and then pushing the panel in while sliding it over to lock into place. The more times you do it, the easier it gets. I'm pulling my panels again this Saturday and will be leaving them off for a few days.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found a shop that is going to take off my panels, and put in my speakers for me. Today I put my stereo system and XM radio in and while it sounds way better than the factory radio, the factory speakers leave much to be desired. I cant wait until I get my Infinity's put in tomorrow. One observation, the stubby antenna that SCSC put on my Smart is nicer than the whip in looks, but it does not perform as well as a whip. Luckily I hardly ever listen to FM.

The wife really wants me to put lights in the footwells of the car, so my next project is to find a light kit.

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
Door panel removal

Sure, Location: South Africa, be right there should be warmer than 20 degrees like here today, just outside of Chicago IL.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I know this message is dated a few years back. Would you please advise who did your speaker work in Charlotte. I'm also in Charlotte and I don't think I have the intestinal fortitude to try removing the door panels on my 2013 passion. Gotta rid myself of the stock speakers.

Thanks!

I found a shop that is going to take off my panels, and put in my speakers for me. Today I put my stereo system and XM radio in and while it sounds way better than the factory radio, the factory speakers leave much to be desired. I cant wait until I get my Infinity's put in tomorrow. One observation, the stubby antenna that SCSC put on my Smart is nicer than the whip in looks, but it does not perform as well as a whip. Luckily I hardly ever listen to FM.

The wife really wants me to put lights in the footwells of the car, so my next project is to find a light kit.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
There is a thread on removing the speakers with out taking off the door panels. You have to destroy the original speakers. They are only worth about $1.50 each any ways.

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
I replaced my speakers by taking the outside panels off. It was easy, and the 2nd door was easier. The new speakers sounded so much better. The time it took was well worth the effort. I looked at doing the speakers from the inside and now that I know how easy it is to do from the outside, it's a no-brainier.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well, my take is that I don't want to risk damaging the door panels, or the mirror. The process is way way WAY too complex in my humble opinion. It doesn't look easy at all to me. I simply don't want to take the risk. I'll live with stock speakers before I damage my Ride. The inside replacement procedure seems a bit more palatable but it still bothers me greatly. Just my luck I destroy the stock speaker then the replacement doesn't fit or work for whatever reason. Then I'm left with a gaping hole in my door. I don't know. I keep leaning with living with stock speakers and not tearing up a car that I've had for less than a month.

I replaced my speakers by taking the outside panels off. It was easy, and the 2nd door was easier. The new speakers sounded so much better. The time it took was well worth the effort. I looked at doing the speakers from the inside and now that I know how easy it is to do from the outside, it's a no-brainier.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts